TP-LINK TD-W9980, BT Infinity 2 and Internet Access Dropping

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2016-04-20 20:01:39
Model :

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi Folks,

We have been a long term BT Broadband customer and over the last few months we started to get WiFi issues using a BT HomeHub 4. To hopefully resolve this we upgraded to BT Infinity 2 with a new BT HomeHub 5. Although the connection speed improved we still got connection issues when using WiFi - connection dropping etc. Looking on the internet the considered feedback seemed to blame the BY HomeHub 5 and upgrading to a TP-LINK TD-W9980 Modem Router would resolve the problems.

So we purchased and deployed the following:

Study

* BT Openreach phone socket
* TP-LINK TD-W9980 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit VDSL2/ADSL2+ Modem Router
* TP-LINK AV500 Powerline Adapter with AC Pass Through TL-PA451
* TD-W9980 connected to TL-PA451 via Ethernet

Lounge

* TP-LINK AV500 Nano Powerline Adapter TL-PA411
* Samsung SMART TV connected to TL-PA411 via Ethernet

Hallway

* TP-LINK AC750 Wi-Fi Range Extender RE200

Bedroom 1

* TP-LINK AV500 Powerline Adapter with AC Pass Through TL-PA451
* Samsung SMART Blu-Ray Player connected to TL-PA451 via Ethernet

Bedroom 2

* Occassional connection of a Dell laptop via Ethernet

Bedroom 3

* Occassional connection of a Lenovo laptop or Playstation 3 via Ethernet

We now have excellent signal strength throughout the house but we still get internet drops e.g. my Nexus 7 reports that it is connected but there is no internet. Even the SMART devices can drop their internet connection when using Ethernet!

I am not a networking expert so can anyone offer any advice please? Do I need to change the configuration options in any of the above? Could it be WiFi channel contention?

Thank you for your help.

Kind regards

Paddy
UK
Options
1 Reply
Re:TP-LINK TD-W9980, BT Infinity 2 and Internet Access Dropping
2016-05-11 01:53:15
Hi Paady , Nice to meet you.
Looking briefly at your post I was wondering how many devices you have connected to the TP LInk W9980 ?

The W9980 is a combined modem/router . It is very capable of handling BT Infinity packages. However, like most modem / routers they are only able to handle successfully 10 devices. something to be awre off when all the family try to connect at tea-time.

Without looking at your house and the size and thinkness of your wall I am unable to comment on why you get drops of internet.
My best guess would be because of signal interference with the wifi.
Wifi signals are a bit like the old transistor radios I had as a kid. I wanted to listen to John Peel but could only do so if I stood my transistor radio on a stool to get the best signal.. then it would disapear so I had to stand on the window sill .

All sorts of things can interfere with your wifi Signal. Your Neighbours TV , Christams tree Lights, The central heating .. the local cop car out side. This is called EMI or Electomagnetic Interference .

What I can say is the Tp Link w9980 has a very good wifi range and if you are finding wifi blackspots then it is probably just the signal trying to catch up or the dynamic assinging of IPs in delay.

Anyway good luck
Hope this helps some

Kind regards
Millie
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1180

Replies: 1