TL-WA854RE wifi extender: changes client MAC-address

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2016-05-05 19:09:24
Model :

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi all,
I bought and setup a TL-WA854RE wi-fi extender (V2) as an extender with different SSID than the router (TP-LINK TD-W8968).

First of all, the MAC address given in the box, on the device itself and through the web-based interface is different than the one my router reads:

router reads: ea:08:6b:25:67:cd
extender gives: ec:08:6b:25:67:cd

Is this an error or something else????

Second, i have set in my router specific static IPs for certain MAC addresses in order to avoid conflicts between the router and the extended network. I thought that the extender copies the info from the router (MAC address + IP). I have already done this before with the same device but the previous version (V1).

However V2, for a connected device on the extender sends-back to the router a different MAC-address than the client real one. An example:

client real MAC address: e0:19:1d:00:df:9b

router received MAC address (as sent by the extender): ee:08:6b:00:df:9b

It is obvious that the address is modified according to the extender device MAC address: ea:08:6b:25:67:cd After this assignment the IP configuration in the router fails, since the router sees unassigned (new) MAC-addresses.

I have searched for options in the extender, but found nothing in this new version (V2).
I would like to know if it is possible to change the operation mode, set it to WDS in which the MAC addresses are preserved between the client-extender-router path?

Thank you
Options
3 Reply
Re:TL-WA854RE wifi extender: changes client MAC-address
2016-05-14 00:15:26
a Wireles extender only job as extender, this no assign ip for device conections, this is router job... is impossible and no recomendated use two DHCP server in the same subnet... one for the main router and other for the extender...in the range extender must be set DHCP server as dissable..

for the mac addres show in the main router as different as show in the extender box, you see in the status page all info show here. the mac addres is show and is equal at the show in the main router, maybe label is wrong...

and yes. try set the extender as AP wds, but assign an IP addres out the DHCP server range and DHCP server dissable...

regards
Options
2016-05-20 16:20:39
As I know, the reason why the mac address is changed is because this mechanism has better compatibility. In addition, you can use the unsigned mac to set static ip.
Options
2017-03-06 19:02:46
I'm running into the same issue.

Actually, what happen is that EVERY device that is connected through the range extender is seen from the main part of the network has having all the same mac address, that is the mac address of the extender.
This regardless the device IPs are statically or dynamically assigned.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1620

Replies: 3