tp-link wa-901nd v3 bridge with ap

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2016-05-12 22:35:51
Model : TL-WA901ND

Hardware Version : V3

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I have been asked to set up a network with a TL-WA901ND V3 wired to a netgear router and two remote TL-WA901ND V3
I used bridge with AP but just could not access through the bridge. The wired AP was configured 10.0.0.201 WPA-PSK / AES and found the others by survey.
dhcp was off and fixed IP on each. The other APs were 10.0.0.204 and 10.0.0.205. With this setup, the survey finds the MAC addresses and assigns the channel.
I confirmed the settings on each with a wifi ap on an android tablet.
No matter what I tried, a laptop connected wirelessly to one or other of the remote APs could not obtain an IP, if I supplied a fixed IP (say 10.0.0.240) I could not ping devices on the wired network or access the internet. I did notice that the APs were not always broadcasting, the android app appeared to show the signal dropping for a minute or so then returning.

Prior to this, I tested the setup with TL-WA701ND and TL-WA801ND, both V1. The 701ND was connected to my router and security was WEP.
I put all three on channel 4 and added the MAC addresses to the tables, each had a different SSID so I knew I was connecting to the AP I wanted to test.
My laptop connected wirelessly to the TL-WA801ND V1 and was able to ping devices on my wired network and access the internet. I then added a TL-WA901ND V3 (from the setup described above) applied WEP security and again was able to connect successfully to my network and the internet.
With the TL-WA901ND V3 mentioned, once again the android app seemed to show the signal dropping, but once I had established a connection from the laptop it seemed to stay steady.
I cannot understand why I have been having a problem with WPA-PSK security on the V3 APs.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Peter
Options
2 Reply
Re:tp-link wa-901nd v3 bridge with ap
2016-05-13 09:02:00
First, check whether your firmware of 901_v3 is latest. http://www.tp-link.com/en/download/TL-WA901ND_V3.html#Firmware.
Then make sure that 901_v3 is the same wireless setting as the former 901_v3. The wireless channel, the key type should also be the same. Just use different wireless name for the test.
Options
Re:tp-link wa-901nd v3 bridge with ap
2016-05-13 17:02:53
All the APs use the same channel and the key type matches.
I am beginning to suspect that the 901_v3 is faulty. According to my android app it does not appear to be broadcasting all the time.
The leds are correct, it is fully accessible by cable for setup, the wireless survey for wifi networks work and sometimes I can connect through it wirelessly.
I have now introduced a TL701ND_V2 patched up to the latest - my android app confirms this broadcasts continually.
Again, the V3 connected to it by survey and seemed to work briefly.
Apart from 'not working' is there a way of self-testing the AP
I have another TL801ND due in the post today so I can test further.
The embarassment is that the apparently faulty 901ND_V3 belongs to a customer along with another one. I struggled on his premises to make the setup work, but could not be confident he actually had faulty kit.
I don't want to go back until I can prove his APs are faulty.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 688

Replies: 2