Management VLAN tag

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Management VLAN tag

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Management VLAN tag
Management VLAN tag
2016-07-25 02:27:30
Model : TP-Link WA801ND

Hardware Version : multiple devices

Firmware Version :

ISP : T-Online (irrelevant)

Hi,

I have two WA801ND APs connected through a switch to a router. The wireless clients are getting sorted into to VLANs based on which SSID they connect to and that part works perfectly well. When I'm near the APs and I am connected to the network through them everything works however I cannot reach the webGUI of the APs when I'm not directly connected to them. The interesting part is that I can ping them directly from the router but not from any computer connected to the router.
Can it be that management packets are not tagged (only WiFi traffic is tagged) and either the tagged traffic coming from the router to the AP is not accepted by the AP or the untagged response from the AP gets dropped by the router?
Anybody has experience as to how the WA801ND behaves in this situation.

Thanks in advance,
David

P.S.: If I set the router to tag untagged packets arriving from the APs I lose all connection between them.

edit: wrong ISP
Options
5 Reply
Re:Management VLAN tag
2016-07-26 15:08:35
TL-WA801ND don't have management VLAN, the packet from device itself is untagged. And if the TL-WA801ND receives packet from different VLAN, it would transfer to the right VLAN. But not itself, so you cannot configure trunk port for 801ND then you also want to manage it.
Options
2016-07-26 22:07:15
What would you suggest then? If I untag the (management VLAN) packets on egress from the switch will that solve the problem?
Options
2016-07-27 23:56:17
It works as designed... Which is a fail.

You can only manage the AP you are connected to - But through every SSID - If your client has an IP on the same subnet as the AP.
Management traffic from the wired side is untagged and there is no feature (which is needed and missing!) to select a vlan for management to get it tagged.
So if you just do nothing but drop untagged traffic on your network. No management will ever work from the wired side and even the AP will never reach a timeserver...

TP Link needs to implement the selection of a vlan for management.
Thats it... Everything else would just be a workaround for their own mistake.
Options
2016-08-03 18:33:10
That's a damn shame... any way we can put pressure on them?
Options
2016-08-07 00:01:38
My two AP500 have the same problem and as i bought them (end of march 16) the Multi SSID feature was unusable (other forum thread) with firmware AP500_V1_151124 (from 24/11/15...).
They still run on a beta firmware for two month now and on the website is no new firmware with a fix avaliable.

I also addressed the management vlan problem in my ticket but for tp-link it was more like a suggestion and not a missing feature.
If you count the month i use a beta firmware and add the ones it took for understanding the multi ssid issue on tp-link side and creating the beta firmware - It was not fast at all...
So no - I don´t think so. We might be lucky to get a firmware with that feature - Or maybe not...

PS: Looks like this feature would not been added in the second half of this year...
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 624

Replies: 5

Related Articles