RE580D Questions

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

RE580D Questions

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
RE580D Questions
RE580D Questions
2016-07-28 07:50:18
Model :

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hello All,

I have a couple of questions I'm hoping I can find answers to in this forum.

To be clear, I have gone through the Support Ticket process with TP Link already. What I am hoping to find here is either deeper information that the std support function either don't have or are too lazy to find out for you through normal support channels.

I run a D9 > RE580D setup using MAC filtering on the D9 as part of my security setup (WPA2-AES/TKIP). The RE580D apparently runs in proxy mode.

What this means in TP Link language is that when a device is connected directly to the RE580D, the Wi-Fi MAC addr the D9 is being handed is NOT the device's actual MAC addr, but rather an RE580 "enhanced" MAC addr. To be fair, the enhanced MAC is easy enough to read once you figure it out, but it means a whole new layer of MAC addr registration to be added to the D9 for every device. With the proliferation of household Wi-Fi devices, this becomes onerous.

Furthermore, if the D9 doesn't broadcast its SSID, the RE580 can't pick it up. The RE580 is not smart enough to connect if the D9 is not broadcasting.

Finally, to top this off, if I let the RE580 copy the D9's SSID's, devices connected to the RE580 cannot connect outside to the net. The RE580 has to have its own SSIDs (2.4 & 5GHz) in order for devices connected to it to be able to connect beyond it.

This is my experience. Thus I have a few questions to which I hope to find the answers in here. If you are able to assist, I would be eternally grateful.

1. Is there any way to hack in to the backend of the RE580D?

2. If so, does anyone know the specific setting(s) I might be able to play with to obtain
a.) default MAC pass-through.
b.) SSID auto-connect, irrespective of D9 broadcast. And
c.) anything else I can play with.

3. Does any one know if there's a DD-WRT firmware can be put into the RE580 which might work better? Does anyone have any experience? [QUALIFICATION:] YES, I know this would void any warranty. It's out of warranty now and doesn't do what I want, so nothing to lose.

4. Does anyone know if the WA850RE operates in the same manner as the RE580? Or whether it does just what it is supposed to do, connect to the base network and pass data back and forth?

Hoping to hear some replies and many thanks in advance to those who do.
Options
2 Reply
Re:RE580D Questions
2016-07-29 01:46:45
Rất đáng quan tâm những gì bạn chia sẻ.
Options
Re:RE580D Questions
2016-08-03 17:19:11
Actually, proxy mode improves the compatibility of RE580D in normal, and I don't think there is any way to hack in to the backend of the RE580D. Do you want to disable proxy mode? As I know, there is no way to let D9 learn the real MAC of PC connected to RE580D unless the router support 4_addr.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 795

Replies: 2

Related Articles