looking for instruction to set up bridging with several routers/repeater

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2016-08-19 16:40:56
Model :

Hardware Version : WR 940n v3 + WR 941nd v6 + WR 841n v9 + v10 + v11

Firmware Version : see above

ISP :Germany, different DSL ISPs

I want to set up and search for a manual or instruction, how to configure the different units well:

Internet <-> ISP-Router AVM Fritzbox from Netcologne, Germany (this is clear - how to connect to that, but the multiple bridging after the WR 940n is unclear) <- LAN -> WR940 ... and now

(1) WR94n0 <- WLAN -> 2nd WR940n
AND
(1) WR940n <-WLAN -> 3rd WR940n
AND
3rd WR940n <- WLAN -> Repeater WA850

All w/o pw or other access restriction, as open net for anyone.

The later router/repeater get no internet, and the setting for "no security" always switched back to default.
Options
6 Reply
Re:looking for instruction to set up bridging with several routers/repeater
2016-09-01 06:04:53
no help?
Options
2016-09-05 15:47:21
log into configure page --wireless--wireless settings--Enable WDS bridging ,click Survey to connect to the other one (both of them should Enable WDS bridging)
Options
2016-09-05 23:51:42
In my opinion too much repeater/WDS devices in network. It will not working properly
Options
2016-09-07 02:56:34

jimasek wrote

In my opinion too much repeater/WDS devices in network. It will not working properly

I have a TP-Link manual where I read that more than one routers can bridge to the prime router.
That seems not to be the main problem, I got conncected ISP AVM Fritzbox port 4 -> LAN -> WR940n v3 -> WLAN -> WR841n v9
fine, also 2 x WR 841n by WLAN to 940n, but always when I test it with Notebook as client I faced this problem:

test 1: WLAN client to 940n works fine w/o password as open access
test 2: then WLAN same client to 841n asked for PW althought I made setting w/o password as open access before.
After I set it again for the 841n to be w/o password as open access I could access fine and also access Internet fine, however
test 3: when now I shut down the notebook and connected new to the 940n (the prime router) then the 940n asked for PW and the settings got changed automatically as I made no changes there and therefore both should accept connection as open access w/o pw.

Means, when I try to configure all w/o pw and as open access, then always the first connected router will switch automatically the setting when I try to access the other router. The complete construction (same if I try with 2 or with 3 routers) seems to acces one open access only and closes the other automatically.

That should not be, but I cannot find what to do or how to configure the settings exactly to have all as open access.

(background: we try to offer open access w/o pw in a club with several rooms, so that we need up to 5 routers or repeater WA850 The additional requirement, that I could get working fine, is that between the ISP's AVM Fritzbox by LAN to the primary 940n router we have 10m distance via powerline TP-Link AV500, and between the 940n and the first 841n we have by WLAN 30m distance and no way to use LAN or powerline for that. So it should be like fingers of a hand, while the hand is the 940n and one or two fingers by WLAN)
Options
2016-09-11 03:50:36
ok, got it working fine, with one parent wr940n v3 and 3 child wr841n v9 as well as with one partent wr940n v3, two childs wr841n v10 and one enkel wr841v9. The point was the dhcp.
All router got same network name and same SSID, like repeaters.
Next I will add one or two repeaters to expand the net. Have 50Mbit/s Internet DSL and enkel router being 60m away still gets 8 Mbit/s

Twilight wrote

log into configure page --wireless--wireless settings--Enable WDS bridging ,click Survey to connect to the other one (both of them should Enable WDS bridging)

no bidirectional brindging. This does not work with more than one child, as my net is. The child routers need to have bridging to MAC of parent router, but parent router must not have MAC entry of any child.
Same with enkel router, that has to be the MAC of theselected child, not of the parent, while the selected child must not have MAC adress of enkel but MAC adress of parent.

currently I have successful
DSL 50 -> ISP router AVM FritzBox, WLAN disabled -> Port 1-3 Home Net by LAN only, while Port 4 GUEST -> LAN -> TP-Link WR940n v3 as parent for Open Hotsport net w/o PWs with open radio all, then
parent -> WLAN child 1 -> WLAN enkel
parent -> WLAN child 2
always the lower router has to be the MAC of the upper router, not reversal and not bidirectional.

Say my test I made the past days
Options
looking for instruction to set up bridging with several routers/rep
2016-10-01 09:12:01
I wanna extend my wifi coverage using D-link access point by setting it as repeater .. it just make the signal full without connecting me to my mikrotik routerboard The same repeater working fine with another mikrotik network Is there some configuration i need to do on my router ?
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 705

Replies: 6

Related Articles