Range extender TL-WA854RE v2 and router's MAC filtering do not mix together

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2016-08-24 21:02:23
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I have recently bought a TL-WA854RE v2 to extend wifi connectivity from a TL-WR841N router.
Configuration had some issues at first and i discovered that the connectivity failures depended on my router's settings:

- DHCP on with address reservation (static IP)
- MAC address filtering

in particular, turning off the latter, the repeater becomes able to provide connectivity BUT DHCP reservation is ignored because the first half of my devices' MAC address is overwritten by my repeater's mask.
To provide an example, a devices with MAC address 00:00:00:01:FF:0E is connected to my repeater (lets hypnotize that repeater has FF:FF:FF:EE:EE:EE as mac address) and the router receives connections from F0:FF:FF:01:FF:0E. The first half of devices MAC address is rewritten with a mask that resembles the repeater's own MAC.

Reading here ( http://static.tp-link.com/res/down/doc/TL-WA854RE(EU_V1_UG_.pdf ) i've discovered that my device operates in proxy mode. And also that in V1 it was possible to change this setting. I would prefer WDS or at least universal mode but no such option is available in TL-WA854RE v2 menù (last firmware available). This way, it would be possible to get connection without downscaling my network's security or without adding in my router double MACs and DHCPs for a single device.

Am I missing something? How can i keep MAC filtering and DHCP only on my router and use my device as repeater, with same net SSID and absolutely NO MAC editing?

Thanks
Options
1 Reply
Re:Range extender TL-WA854RE v2 and router's MAC filtering do not mix together
2016-08-31 17:04:09
The working mode of 854_V2 can't be changed, but you can refer to this faq to configure mac filtering:
http://www.tp-link.com/en/faq-927.html
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 739

Replies: 1