Extender RE355 Random Internet Drops

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2016-09-10 09:53:57
Model : AC1200 Wi-Fi Range Extender RE355

Hardware Version : RE355 Ver:1.0

Firmware Version : 1.0.0 Build 20151203 Rel. 43822

ISP :

I bought my extender about a month ago and I've been encountering random internet drops ever since. It happens every other day or so.There seems to be no problem with my router and service provider as other devices connected directly to the router don't have connection issues while I'm having these drops with my extender. Devices connected to my router would still show they're getting a strong wifi signal but would not secure an internet connection. Position doesn't appear to be the cause of my problem since the extender performs really well when it does work well.

I've tried resetting the extender several times but it didn't solve anything. I've even tried connecting to a different router (the one in my office) and these drops still persist. What I found to be a working (temporary) solution is to turn the extender off and on and then I'll be good for another day or two. But I can't really call this a solution, especially not in the long run.

I'd appreciate any solution anyone could give me but I'd appreciate it even more if it'd be toned for the not-so-tech-savvy (coz I'm not).

Here's the System Log:

Options
4 Reply
Re:Extender RE355 Random Internet Drops
2016-09-12 08:55:54
I have been suffering from this same issue for a few months. Tech support helped me to download updated firmware, but the issue remains. Please, if someone knows the answer, let us know!
Options
2016-09-13 17:29:51
you can contact TP-LINK support,they can help,and they can offer replacement if the problem can not be solved
Options
2016-10-05 23:13:37
I did just that and got a replacement. Great? NO. The unit I got has the same problem and worse, it disconnects in under 2 days (the one I had before croaks up after 2-3 days). Reading through the posts here, it seems these drops are a problem for RE355 and RE450 (a very similar model) leading me to speculate that this inherent to these two, maybe hardware. With no answers from tp-link guys in this forum or a firmware upgrade, it looks like the problem won't be resolved. That's it for me. I won't return this to the store or ask for another unit. My RE355 going in the trash.

Wish I had read through here before getting one. Very much disappointed with this extender and even the brand itself.
Options
2016-10-06 20:25:51
RE355 Dropping: The default of inheriting the same SSID (network name) used by the router for the RE 355 extender is the problem! Set up the extender with its own unique network name (SSID) and the connection between the router and extender becomes much more stable. The dropped signal is between the router and extender - not simply an extender issue. Separating the network SSID names eliminates confusion by devices trying to attach to the wireless network(s). I still need to reset once in a while, but this solved the problem for the most part. .
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1167

Replies: 4

Related Articles