Can anyone help me with the bandwidth Math please

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2016-09-13 20:18:08
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi I want to set up the TD W9980 to make sure my main desktop computer stops getting booted when other devices in the house connect.The aim I want to achieve is to set my machine to be top priority over the other machines to prevent my machine from getting booted of the internet when the apple tv or the imac start downloading stuff.

I know you can set priorities in the bandwidth control settings. How do I make sure the Math is correct.The stats on the router tell me I have current rate upstream 19999 and downstream 79997. I have 6 devices which are allocated IP addresses from 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.106 . The device I want to have priority over the others is 106. I get the basic idea of setting the bandwidth and allocating priorities Im just not too good at the maths.
Should I set my 106 device with the min and max bandwidth as above. (19999 up and 79997 down) Im sure it works like this? I think the total has to be shared out between all 6 devices? Is this correct?
How can I make sure my 106 device gets more than a fair share of bandwidth and then allocate lower bandwidth to the other 5 devices? If so how will i know how much to give each device?

Any help much appreciated
Options
2 Reply
Re:Can anyone help me with the bandwidth Math please
2016-09-14 08:40:42
do you know how much bandwidth does your ISP offer
Options
Re:Can anyone help me with the bandwidth Math please
2016-09-14 14:59:41

QAQ wrote

do you know how much bandwidth does your ISP offer
I'm unsure by bandwidth do you mean the total speeds my line can handle? It's fibre to cabinet and the last 300 meters is delivered over copper telephone cable. My cabinet is enable to accept 40 / 80 speeds I bought an unlimited package. I take that to mean I have no data caps , and there is a clause in the contract that says they do not throttle the bandwidth at busy or peak times. So in theory I should be getting 20MBs up and 80 MB s down. The router shows me current rate and max ratesCurrent rate is 19999 Mbps down and 79997 Mbps upload so this is what I assume is the bandwidth / speed.
File:
image.jpgDownload
image.jpgDownload
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 660

Replies: 2