TD-W8960N V7 and prot forwarding problems

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2016-09-19 22:38:53
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I am at wits end here.
I understand port forwarding and how to set it up.
I've use a cisco 725 switch for a long time with port forwarding and decided it was time for a more low power new router/switch, so went for a TD-W8960N V7 via amazon.

Al work fine, except port forwarding. I've set up the rule for an internal server. Using an online website to check of the port is open, confirms the port is
open, but the traffic never seems to reach my server. There is a nether FS728TS in between. Also tried plugging in the server directly to the td-link switch but no differences.
Rebooted the nether switch, server, no luck.
As soon as a swap back the cisco switch things are fine.
Anything I might have missed? uPNP is on, IGMP is on. Using the V7 firmware from June this year ,
1.0.9 Build 160614 Rel.41323

Peter
Options
8 Reply
Re:TD-W8960N V7 and prot forwarding problems
2016-09-20 23:59:00
Can you give us info about W8960N setup?
Options
2016-09-21 00:06:48

jimasek wrote

Can you give us info about W8960N setup?

What info would you need?
I've not changed much to the defaults, changed the network subnet to my home network subnet (192.168.0.xx), setup ADSL ( BT) , no problems there.
Setup dhcp with about 15 entries for fixed IP addresses, the node in question I tried using both a fixed address outside the dhcp server setup and within it with a fixed address.
The setup a Nat virtual server rule for the port I want to have forwarded from the outside world to the node. Specify the port start and end address as same port no and the IP address of the node.
That should do it, right?
I have a similar setup in my cisco router, when I swap in the td-link one, outgoing connections from the node work, returning traffic to the port in the port forwarding rule does not work.
It feels like the router firewall still blocks the traffic. Using an outside port test website, show the port itself is open.
When returning the cisco router the return traffic comes in again.

Peter
Options
2016-09-21 00:37:39
Do you have public IP address on the WAN port?
Options
2016-09-21 00:46:48
I'm using the one that BT is assigning and I am using dyndns.
You might be onto something here, I need to see if there is an option in the tp-link router to notify dyndns of the new ipaddress given by BT when swapping the routers.
Options
2016-09-21 00:53:55
I haven't asked about ddns, do you know what is the public IP address or not? If you don't know please show me status tab from TP-LINK. Second question what kind of services do you have in local network on those ports?
Options
2016-09-21 16:05:24

jimasek wrote

I haven't asked about ddns, do you know what is the public IP address or not? If you don't know please show me status tab from TP-LINK. Second question what kind of services do you have in local network on those ports?

Yes I know what the public address is. When you asked for that I realised that I did not setup ddns, the external connections back are made not using an ip address but a logical dns name registered via dyndns. I 'forgot' to set that up, it was already done in the cisco router.
An other point to look after is the option in the dhcp window.

Enable IGMP Snooping

Standard Mode
Blocking Mode

Default seems to be on and in blocking mode.
This caused considerable grief for my Sonos setup and my Solar monitoring components from SMA. Kept getting dropped connections, setting it to Standard Mode made things far more stable.
Options
2016-09-22 04:24:33
Have you tested it from another IP address, another internet connection?
Options
2016-09-22 17:32:15

peterbr wrote

An other point to look after is the option in the dhcp window.

Enable IGMP Snooping

Standard Mode
Blocking Mode

Default seems to be on and in blocking mode.
This caused considerable grief for my Sonos setup and my Solar monitoring components from SMA. Kept getting dropped connections, setting it to Standard Mode made things far more stable.

Switching IGMP off completely in both the tp-link router and netgear switch made the environment even more stable. Seems the tp-link router does not like the netgear switch much -;)
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 417

Replies: 8

Related Articles