TL-WR710: Do not use in a professional setting

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2016-10-05 16:39:13
Model : TL-WR710N

Hardware Version : v1

Firmware Version :

The TL-WR710 (I own v1) has the following bugs which makes it unusable in a professional environment. I would also not suggest to use it elsewhere, sorry:
There is no function that looks for a newer firmware and at least gives a hint to the admin
[*]Username and password are admin / admin: Most will leave this. Sooner or later, your Wifi device will thus be controlled by a botnet
[*]If you perform a firmware upgrade, you will lose all settings. You have to reconfigure the device again from zero (thats the killer for me)
[*]The Wifi Settings do not find out your country or at least asks you: It will violate most countries' radio regulations
[*]The default mode should not be router but accesspoint. As an accesspoint it would be reachable from WAN and LAN and makes it possible to configure it after having it plugged in via LAN. Services in your LAN are visible. As a router, it introduces an innecessary split in your network and makes thing unreachable from the rest of your network.
[*]If you don't set your device on a fixed IP, it will reset its configuration as soon as it does not see the router. This is outrageous. I do not want to reconfigure an entre network just because the router had a hickup.
So please, look for a different device.

BTW: The forum shows a bulleted list but then ignores the format completely after having submitted the text. Amateurs at work?
Options
1 Reply
Re:TL-WR710: Do not use in a professional setting
2016-10-07 11:16:25
I can also get behind this:

https://motherboard.vice.com/read/we-need-to-save-the-internet-from-the-internet-of-things

Governments need to fix the habit of vendors to offer crappy security that also comes from lack of comfort.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 443

Replies: 1