Archer C20i WiFi problems

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2016-12-03 08:41:05
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I have a serious problem with this routers WiFi. I'm not a PC or networking novice. So bare with me.

I wired up my Brothers home with the Archer C20i router. All seemed ok at first until he started having problems when streaming or connecting to servers & even the Sky HD box that uses it for catch up TV. I ran though the settings & even updated the firmware & factory reset & still the problem was there. The problem was that when connected to the WiFi, when doing a speed test, it showed the speed you would expect. But every minute or so, it would just stop responding all together. The Wifi didn't disconnect nor the connection to the router. It just acted as if no internet was available for around 5-15 seconds ever 1-2 mins.

I tested this via ethernet & the problem wasn't happening. So, I took it to my home where I use the Archer C2 AC750. I simply un hooked mine & connected the C20i & I got the same problem experienced at my brothers. So this certified that it was the routers WiFi.
I then side by side went through each setting so the C20i matched my own C2 & still the problem was happening. I factory reset & ran the easy setup tool downloaded from TP-Link website for those respective models to no avail on the C20i.

So, I dod some thing different. I hooked each router up to the main router. Both running, no conflicts both 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz. I have 2 perfectly working AC wifi laptops. So I set up a repeating ping to my web server with a 11ms response time every second. Laptop A connected to the problematic C20i & Laptop B connected to my own C2 router. Ping set off on both laptops for 20 minutes. Laptop B had no time outs what so ever & the highest latency was 15ms & lowest 11ms. Laptop A however timed out for around 4 or 5 seconds every 1-2 minutes.

I ran same test on 5Ghz to same conclusion. Switch connections on the laptops & results were the same.

So, is this a faulty Router or just generally a pretty poor router? Brothers had it for around a while & cant find receipt. But it was hardly used for quite some time until I set things up for him.

Advice on things to try or set if I'm missing something. But I can't think of anything else to try!
Options
3 Reply
Re:Archer C20i WiFi problems
2016-12-06 21:04:13
No one at all any suggestions?
Options
2020-04-21 17:16:14
Hi! I have the exact same problem with the exact same router now in 2020. Did you fix it? Thanks.
Options
2021-02-10 13:05:30

@VsUK I have exactly the same problem

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 1111

Replies: 3

Related Articles