Are Firmware Updates Cumulative?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2016-12-11 06:09:48
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I would like to update my Archer VR600 firmware. It is hardware version EU1.0 and I see three firmware downloads suitable for it in the download area.
Do I have to apply them all in release order, or will applying the most recent one have the same effect?
Options
6 Reply
Re:Are Firmware Updates Cumulative?
2016-12-15 03:20:20
I don't know, but I would like to see the answer also
Options
2016-12-15 10:41:40
Hello,

Just update to the most latest one directly.
Options
2016-12-18 18:47:38
Hi, mor einformation is that generally the firmware is a whole OS in a file that replaces any previous firmware version. While there are exceptions with some equipment generally this is how it works.
Also check that the allready installed firmware is possibly later than whats available on the web site.

for instance my firmware on my vr600 is many versions later than whats on the web site. TP-Link are just slow at getting the web site updated to the latest versions or that they think its not really needed
for older firmware users.

Good firmware also checks the version and wont allow update back to older firmware. you can also check in the tp-link web configuration firmware page online of there is anything later available
before contemplating needing to update.
Perhaps with problems if these exist notify TP-link tech support and if these ae fixed they may update the web downloads, or send the latest firmware directly to you, or give you a secret download url
to resolve your problem.

Note there is a good case for if its not broke then dont fix it in my opinion.
I have seen too many motherboards or expensive gear rendered into a tomato shape because of incorrect fw update proceedures.
Options
2016-12-21 05:33:30
Many thanks - that is very helpful.

I was considering updating the firmware because I had a suspicion that my DNS settings had been altered.
However, having reset them they have remained unchanged, so perhaps they were not set up correctly in the first place.
As the notes for the only newer firmware version than what I have does not mention security enhancements I shall leave well enough alone for now and just monitor the DNS settings regularly.
Options
2016-12-21 20:38:24
I guess you want to keep the DNS settings unchanged for all your clients?
Actually you can manually assign DNS servers in your network.
Please login to the management page of the router, then refer to Advanced -> Network -> LAN Settings, under DHCP Server, you can define any DNS servers you want in the Primary & Secondary DNS boxes. When you type in your DNS settings and click Save, please just disconnect and then reconnect your clients to the router and you'll find them obtain the DNS settings you setup on the router.
Options
2016-12-22 11:39:31
You do not need to step-wise upgrade, but some feature may be lost depending on versions.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1128

Replies: 6

Related Articles