Archer C9 doesn't connect to specific webpage/IP-address

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2016-12-26 21:15:31
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi all wise people,

This regards ArcherC9 v1.0, firmware 4.1.0 Build 20160517 Rel 35411, ~1 year old wireless router I have at home

My routes does not let me connect to a specific webpage ( mail.citynetwork.se). I get a time-out error message in my brower (not a "connection denied" message) and so far this is the only webpage affected I've found. It is however my webmail address = very annoying.

Debugging results so far:
- Access by URL och IP address both fail
- Tracert shows that I don't get pass the router (see image below)
- Problem exists for any client (computer, tablet, mobile phone, ...) connected to the router
- Problem exists both for wireless 2.4GHz, wireless 5GHz and wired connection through the router
- I can access the webpage when I use another internet connection e.g. mobile network (still same computer)
- I can access the webpage when I use a VPN tunnel to my office (still same computer, same router at home)
- I can access the webpage when I bypass the router, i.e. when connect my computer by cable directly to my house's internet outlet.
- Factory reset of router performed
- FW update performed

Any suggestions?
Options
9 Reply
Re:Archer C9 doesn't connect to specific webpage/IP-address
2016-12-27 08:49:15
I think you could try to use Wireshark to analyze
Options
2016-12-27 10:17:39
Hi,

I did a test in my network with an Archer C9 V1, same firmware version as yours.
Then I tried to ping and tracert mail.citynetwork.se. Everything goes well. Here is the tracert result:

I have viewed your test. It seems that both the successful connections (mobile network & VPN network) are not your home network connection.
Have you tried to connect your computer to your modem directly bypassing Archer C9?
It's recommended to try that. Thanks.
Options
2016-12-27 17:34:27

tplink wrote

I have viewed your test. It seems that both the successful connections (mobile network & VPN network) are not your home network connection.
Have you tried to connect your computer to your modem directly bypassing Archer C9?
It's recommended to try that. Thanks.

Thanks for your response!

I did attempt to reach the webpage while bypassing the router to exclude any ISP-related issues - with the router bypassed I can access the webpage, see my original post:
- I can access the webpage when I bypass the router, i.e. when connect my computer by cable directly to my house's internet outlet.

Any other ideas?
Options
2016-12-29 21:52:39
I find a good method to test.
Just login C9 and go to Advanced -> System Tools -> Diagnostic, you can tracert or ping directly on that page and check if it's addressable.
Options
2016-12-30 04:15:38

Anton L.Z. wrote

I find a good method to test.
Just login C9 and go to Advanced -> System Tools -> Diagnostic, you can tracert or ping directly on that page and check if it's addressable.

Interesting! Pinging and tracerouting from the C9s GUI gives suprising results:

So, to summarize the ping/tracert results (all to mail.citynetwork.se):

[/TD]
[TD]Ping
Tracert
Router bypassed
(cmd window, cable from computer to house's internet outlet)
OK OK
From computer
(cmd window, both wifi and cable to router)
Fail Fail
From router's diagnostic menu in GUI Fail OK

Considering that I've performed a factory reset and FW udpate, I believe this smells like a HW error. Would you agree?
Options
2016-12-30 13:53:34
Seems strange.
Regarding this case, I doubt if the mail server has blocked the router's MAC address. Just login the management page and go to Advanced -> Network -> Internet -> MAC Clone, and clone the MAC address of your current computer.
Another option may impact is the MTU value. Maybe it's too large for the server to receive through the router. And on the same page under Internet -> IPv4, we can also change the MTU Size to 1400 and click Save to make it take effect.
Can take a try to reset and update FW.
Options
2017-01-02 18:02:51

tplink wrote

Just login the management page and go to Advanced -> Network -> Internet -> MAC Clone, and clone the MAC address of your current computer.

Solved! When cloning my computer's MAC address, the problem is gone. Strange enough, once I've done this and revert back to the previous "use default MAC address" in the router settings, the problem doesn't come back. But who cares, now that it works... :rolleyes:

Thanks.
Options
2017-01-02 22:16:24

jellybear wrote

Solved! When cloning my computer's MAC address, the problem is gone.

So the reason for blocking access to the Internet for other devices was that your ISP allows only your PC with its known MAC to connect and use the uplink. Indeed an ISP-related problem.
༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2017-01-03 20:30:27

R1D2 wrote

So the reason for blocking access to the Internet for other devices was that your ISP allows only your PC with its known MAC to connect and use the uplink. Indeed an ISP-related problem.

Well, there has to be something more to it than my ISP blocking the MAC address:
- It was only this very specific webpage that was blocked. Any other site has always worked fine.
- The failed access was a time-out fail, not an "access denied" fail.
- After having cloned my computer's MAC address and things started to work, I switched back to the router's original MAC address - and it still worked.
Options