WR810n guidance please

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

WR810n guidance please

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
WR810n guidance please
WR810n guidance please
2017-01-08 07:16:11
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi,

For many years, I have been using a D-link travel router. However,my search for a travel router with VPN capability has led me to this one. I thought I was pretty competent with routers but this one is confusing me so I was hoping that someone could treat me like a dummy and answer a few "fundamentals".

My main scenario is:

1) Sharing a hotel wireless internet connection with around 4 devices
2) Being able ro manage hotel logon web pages
3) Crucially, to be able to set up VPN so that I can watch UK TV when abroad.

So, would I set Repeater mode for this?

Would WRT help me to achieve this requirement?

Thanks
Options
4 Reply
Re:WR810n guidance please
2017-01-08 16:47:54
You can use the Hotspot router mode.
In this mode, you can configure the router to connect to the hotel's wifi via the Quick Setup process.
After that, you can login the router's admin page, then refer to Network, and manually select the VPN connection mode you want.
WR810N supports both PPTP and L2TP VPN connections.
Options
2017-01-08 19:45:51

tplink wrote

You can use the Hotspot router mode.
In this mode, you can configure the router to connect to the hotel's wifi via the Quick Setup process.
After that, you can login the router's admin page, then refer to Network, and manually select the VPN connection mode you want.
WR810N supports both PPTP and L2TP VPN connections.

Thanks for this. According to the manual, it looks like Hotspot requires a wired input whereas I want to be able to use the hotel wireless as the root. Will this mode also work with wireless connection?
Options
2017-01-11 18:48:09
Would I be able to achieve hotel WiFi sharing with DD-WRT?

Thanks
Options
2017-01-12 14:07:03
Not sure but it's not recommended as it will violent the warranty policy of TP-Link.
In addition, the Hotspot wifi router mode will not require a wired connection. You can login the admin page, go through the Quick Setup for a check.
During the Quick Setup, it will guide you to connect and extend a wifi network.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 345

Replies: 4

Related Articles