DHCP not working, and i dont understand a single bit of this....

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-02-14 04:59:18
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hello everyone,

So, I have set up a wireless network in my home with:

Firmware Version: 3.12.8 Build 110117 Rel.41866n
Hardware Version: WR940N v1/WR941N v4 00000000

I am new to this stuff, because we had some guy who was servicing everything about our PCs, and some other stuff, and the important thing is that he is no longer in our service. So I baught allready mentioned router and conected the router to my modem/router and bla bla, all works. However, while i play online games, and someone even turns on their mobile wifi, or God forbid uTorrent, my ping goes on rampage... Thing start teleporting around, 10 seconds of game go trough half of second, etc, weird stuff...
So i went and researched what are my possibilities, since my modem/rooter had A LOT better performance with much more devices connected simultaniously. The ONLY reason why I baught this rooter is the better signal broadcast, and the 300mb/s seemed more than enough to handle our home needs (2 comps are connected with ethernet cable, so the only things that are left on wifi are my comp, laptop wich is barely online, and about 5-7 mobiles/tablets, which are connected 2-4 simultaniously at max). Anyhow, after some research I came across article in which he talks about DHCP improving gameplay. And i gave it a shot, and it worked, for the first time, because i reserved adress that was allready assigned to my comp. However, next time i turned on computer, things went back to ping rampage at slightest other than me wifi conection. Then i went to check whats up, and I found that my reserved adress is no loger the same as the one that is assigned to my PC, so the bandwidth control had no mor effect (or that is how I interpreted it). So i went again on a quest for answers for better gaming expirience. As I was reading more and more, and researching all the cap letters i found in rooter CP, I started realising that i have lost my thread, and now i dont even know what is what, and even less what to do about it.

SO, my question is this:
How do i get to play games without ping rampage?

I have been reading about DHCP, IP & MAC binding (bound it to same settings as DHCP), making static IP (went terribely wrong, as i couldnt connect to network anymore, not shure what i did wrong), started reading more about DMZ and UPnP, and everything seem simmilar to me, and potentialy problem solving option. However, Im tired of doing something I dont even know what is, and tired of being NOSTRADAMUS while I play games, since, at some points, i need to forecast next 10 seconds just so i dont DIE, not to mention do something more complex...

I hope some1 can explain to me (a bit detailed, but not too proffesionaly speaking) so I can understand what I am doing in case I need to make some adjustments, and wont have to write a novel about it on forums.

Thanks in advance!

P.S. I kinda figured (possibly wrong) that DMZ and UPnP are related to servers or something, which i plan on implementing in near future (home wifi storage server, if its even possible...). So it is not that important for me to understand it now, but would be nice to have some hints about what its for.

P.P.S The best way to explain these things is with some fictional examples, with very newbie definitions, and contrasts or metaphores... lel :D:o:p
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 539

Replies: 1

Related Articles