TL-WR841N wifi slow speed

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-02-27 08:00:24
Model : TL-WR841N

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi, I've read thru all related threads, but I still feel unsure about what to do.

I'm using a Fritz Box 7490 and the TL-WR841N, both with the latest firmware.

Using the Fritz Box alone, download wifi speeds are around 15-20 mbps.

I added the TL-WR841N as a secondary router via WAN since I need IPv4 addresses. My ISP only provides IPv6 address. The Fritz Box is a ISP tailored version, not allowing IPv4 directly.

Fritz Box remained unaltered. The 841N is setup with a static IP, DHCP is on (off won't work), nothing bridged, has its own SSID.

The download wifi speed has dropped sharply to only 1-2mbps on the amazon fire tv when I stream.

What can I do to get the speed back to where it was without the 841N?

Thank you so much for your help in advance.
Options
12 Reply
Re:TL-WR841N wifi slow speed
2017-02-27 15:36:09
Already in place. But: I cannot avoid "no mixed" in mode, only have "11bgn mixed" and "11bg mixed."

Does this mean the error will stay?
Options
2017-02-27 18:30:34
I don't understand why you compare download speed of one device with streaming speed of another device. Downloading uses full bandwidth available, but streaming requires only little bandwidth and therefore doesn't utilize the full bandwidth. Next, WiFi will reduce its speed down to 1 Mbps in mode b if there are interferences or obstacles between the WiFi router and the client. Therefore, much more information and measurements are needed to give any advice.
༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2017-02-27 23:46:06
may be few products have a prolems, i feel 841 good for my house not like you
Options
TL WR841N wifi slow speed
2017-02-28 00:12:09
hi friends,I am in problem for my project wifi mobile security. I cant gather enough information for my project. So if any friends do this then plz help me .thks
Options
2017-02-28 01:16:31
Streaming speed also was at 10-15mbps before I added the TL-WR841. With this one, the streaming speed is down to 1-2mbps. It should be higher for a good picture quality, but it does not exceed the 2mbps with the 841N.
I cannot avoid mode b within the 841N, the drop-down menu does not offer a "no mixed" mode.
What other info can I provide?
Options
2017-02-28 03:00:53

David80 wrote

What other info can I provide?

Network topology. How do you manage to use IPv4 on the TL-WR841 at all if the FritzBox only provides IPv6? You cannot address IPv6 web sites using IPv4 directly. There must be some form of tunneling/encapsulation of IPv4 in IPv6 packets. ISPs usually do provide such tunneling/encapsulation.

Connection type. Do you experience slow speeds also when using IPv4 with a wired connection? Bottleneck may be at the ISP's side. If you live in Germany, complain to your ISP that you could not do gaming over IPv6. Changes are that they will enable native IPv4 if you complain loud enough.

Measuring method. dslreports.com's speed test is a reliable test to check the ISP's uplink speed. Do this with a device wired to the TL-WR841's LAN and with a wireless device to compare.

If you suspect the WiFi part to be the bottleneck, then following info could help:

Mode settings. Select fixed 20 MHz channel width. 40 MHz will need 8 WiFi channels in parallel at once (5 MHz each). In areas with dense population 40 MHz channel width makes no sense, it won't be used at all. Try 802.11b/g mode instead of b/g/n. Any change?

WiFi channel selection. Make sure to use a WiFi channel at least 5 channels apart from the FritzBox. For example, if FB has ch1, use ch11 or at least ch6 to avoid interferences.

Mount position of the router. Is the WR841 in free line of sight to your laptop/PC/TV? Antennas straight up and parallel to each other? Speed measured using a speed test between a wired device connected to the router and a wireless device other than the one used for streaming? Also as bad as 1-2 Mbps?

This are only some ideas. If it doesn't help, you will have to systematically find the bottleneck by doing measurements of all devices used and combinations of wired/wireless connections. The iperf speed test is a good starting point to help find bottlenecks.
Options
2017-02-28 04:25:46
R1D2, let me thank you first for your time and efforts, I truly appreciate. Here are my answers:

Network topology.
How do you manage to use IPv4 on the TL-WR841 at all if the FritzBox only provides IPv6? You cannot address IPv6 web sites using IPv4 directly. There must be some form of tunneling/encapsulation of IPv4 in IPv6 packets. ISPs usually do provide such tunneling/encapsulation.
==> Static IPv4 within my network which works to resolve DNS.

Connection type. Do you experience slow speeds also when using IPv4 with a wired connection? Bottleneck may be at the ISP's side. If you live in Germany, complain to your ISP that you could not do gaming over IPv6. Changes are that they will enable native IPv4 if you complain loud enough.
==> It's fine with a wired connection, but impossible to use on a daily basis.

Measuring method. dslreports.com's speed test is a reliable test to check the ISP's uplink speed. Do this with a device wired to the TL-WR841's LAN and with a wireless device to compare.
==> download speed is ok, not good, not as good as just with the fritz box, but streaming speeds suffer strongly

Mode settings. Select fixed 20 MHz channel width. 40 MHz will need 8 WiFi channels in parallel at once (5 MHz each). In areas with dense population 40 MHz channel width makes no sense, it won't be used at all. Try 802.11b/g mode instead of b/g/n. Any change?
==> changed to 20 Mhz, no difference. b/g mode also made no difference to b/g/n mode.

WiFi channel selection. Make sure to use a WiFi channel at least 5 channels apart from the FritzBox. For example, if FB has ch1, use ch11 or at least ch6 to avoid interferences.
==> done, no change

Mount position of the router. Is the WR841 in free line of sight to your laptop/PC/TV? Antennas straight up and parallel to each other? Speed measured using a speed test between a wired device connected to the router and a wireless device other than the one used for streaming? Also as bad as 1-2 Mbps?
==> nope, there's a wall in between. Antennas straight up (no improvement) and parallel (no improvement either). The amazon fire tv stick does not allow a wired connection, only via wifi
Options
2017-02-28 16:53:09

David80 wrote

==> Static IPv4 within my network which works to resolve DNS.
Just to get it right: If you measure bandwidth of your FritzBox, you are using IPv6, b/c it does not provide you with an IPv4 network access, right?

==> download speed is ok, not good, not as good as just with the fritz box, but streaming speeds suffer strongly

If you measure bandwidth of the TL-WR841 the same way, but using IPv4, it is o.k. and only streaming with the Amazon Fire stick shows a degradation in speed, correct?

Did you try to reduce the amount of traffic by switching to lower resolution on your TV? AFAIK the Amazon streaming service is well known to waste bandwidth much more than any other streaming service. I suspect this of the cause for your observations if download speed of TL-WR841 is well, but problems only arise with the stick.

Maybe Johnsontp has some more ideas what could cause this effect.
Options
2017-03-01 19:20:47
Johnsontp, Hardware and Firmware are current (checked with TP-Link).

R1D2, I did try to lower the resolution, no luck. Bandwidth is almost the same, yes, but streaming showed a degradation on the firetv stick... perfectly correct, yes. But: streaming without the 841N is perfect on the firetv. So the combination of both devices seems to cause trouble.
Options
2017-03-01 20:17:15

David80 wrote

But: streaming without the 841N is perfect on the firetv. So the combination of both devices seems to cause trouble.

Sorry, I have no idea what could be the cause for this weird behavior. If bandwidth is o.k. for regular downloads, it should be o.k. for streaming, too. But maybe the FireTV has some requirements regarding the link I'm not aware of.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 5961

Replies: 12

Related Articles