Weak Signal on AC1750 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router (Archer C7)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-03-25 09:58:04
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hello everyone,

I have purchased a couple of months ago, an AC1750 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router on eBay, the item was described as good working condition. But somehow, the signal on this router seems to drop relevantly and not providing enough signal to travel through old built thick walls. Even this router is designed to pick up good signal in specific spaces… especially thick walls when using the external 5Gbps antennas.

But I have located this router to be in a small server room and inside a black cabinet with all the other technical equipment including: Switches, CCTV, Non-Wireless Router (for a different network). Now I have just been thinking if that’s not a good place to put it inside a cabinet with the other technical equipment close together and surrounded by a black metal cabinet chassis. The 5Gbps antennas are all facing towards the outside thick stone wall and not pointing where the direction of the connection that it needs to be.

In some rooms of the building could not get any signal within the middle of the building and cuts off with weak signal. Is it because as I said earlier that the router is all in wrong places or do you think there could be a problem that needs to be look at on the web configuration page. As you might want to know that we have an TP-LINK 300Mbps access point at the other end of the building, providing internet signal to other devices on the same network, having no problems with this so far - but will be upgrading to a EAP110 access point to provide better signals soon, there are thick walls to dealt with!

If any of you want to know the information and links of the router that I am currently using now to support for your solutions when posting on this forum thread. They are all below!

Website link to router’s main page: http://uk.tp-link.com/products/details/cat-9_Archer-C7.html
Firmware Version: 3.15.3 Build 150511 Rel.55816n
Hardware Version: Archer C7 v1 00000000

PS: I know this information sounds a bit wordy for many of you. But if you want me to make some simple points about the problem, please let me know.

Many thanks,
Benjamin Hall
Options
6 Reply
Re:Weak Signal on AC1750 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router (Archer C7)
2017-03-25 15:05:59
May I know how large of the building? If there are thick walls surrounding the router, I recommend you to deploy your network in wired connections in the area with thick walls, and extend the network with the wireless router outside.
Options
2017-03-25 18:22:34
Hey Benjamin123 , i use the ac1750 and i can tell you that i have seen a increase of signal in my house compare to my old tplink N750 , please note that the 2.4 ghz will be more strong on signal that the 5Ghz.
Take a look in Wireless 2.4 > Wireless Advanced>Transmit Power: ( here must be ) High ............ Also same in 5 Ghz
So in resume, 2.4 ghz for range ... and 5 ghz close to the router and speed .
So search for signal from you phone , pc, , notebook, for 2.4 signal.

Good luck.
Options
2017-03-26 02:42:15
Hi Anton L.Z,

The building is a long farmhouse around 30ft long across ways, but the internet is only provided for the half of the building and not the rest as we run a business and needed to use a separate network for the other half. And like what you have been saying about deploying the network in to wired connections, we have already deployed the network connection in to wired connections through different locations around the building, but at the other end where the signal goes weak.. we have placed an TP-LINK access point, wired in and works fine!

Just to let you know that the main wireless router is almost in the central of the building (imagine the building from sky view, a few feet to your right from the center of the building).

Many thanks,

Ben
Options
2017-03-26 02:59:52
Hello timi,

Thank you for replying. I have checked through the settings on the configuration page and shows that both frequencies (2.4GHz & 5GHz) are on the correct settings that you have suggested me. I did realize when I did a quick search on Google, it shows that 2.4GHz gives out better signal range than the 5GHz. As I knew that the 2.4GHz only provide signal for basic internet use, such as: Internet browsing, checking emails, sending messages and social media as for the 5GHz provides a better performance for: Gaming, Videos & YouTube, File sharing and etc.

The picture shows that there is a big difference between the two frequencies:
By the way, I have a small numerical of devices that uses 5GHz, this includes my iPad which runs on 5GHz internet signal between 50cm wall with soundproof and the router (this is when I am in the bedroom). The only concern that I am getting is that the signal drops, especially when this router is provided for better signals. The signal only drops when I walk in to the bathroom within the bedroom with the device.

Soon, I will be getting two TP-LINK EAP110 access points to be fitted in the office where the main router is located and switch off the built-in wireless settings on the main router, one to go where the existing access point but to provide more signal and power.

PS: If you have anything else to say, please let me know!

Many thanks,

Ben
Options
2017-03-26 04:02:12
Hi. You can try the 2.4 Ghz to choose the channels 6 and 11 and the wide to 40 mhz.
And there are something that close to router like microwave? Some electronics give interfaces with router.
Options
2017-03-26 04:07:45
Hi timi,

I will have a go about that, but I was thinking whether if I turn off the 5GHz will it make any improvement with the signal, but the downside is that it might not provide enough power to do stuff like watching videos online, gaming and etc.

The router is not near an microwave, it is located in the server room in a black metal cabinet chassis. But it might make an interference with other equipment or something...

Thanks,

Ben
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2869

Replies: 6