RE450 spams time.nist.gov and several other NTP servers constantly

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-05-11 18:58:10
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi,

I have a RE450 repeater installed since a couple months ago, working OK, no problems.

Recently I installed a Pihole ad blocker which happens to log every DNS access, and I have seen that the RE450 spams CONSTANTLY to several NTP and DNS servers:

time.nist.govnz.pool.ntp.org
time-nw.nist.gov
au.pool.ntp.org
time-b.nist.gov
time-a.nist.gov
a.root-servers.net

which completely degrades statistics, and possibly creates unwanted traffic to those sites.

Is this a normal behaviour?
Can it be avoided or filtered?

Thanks for your support.

davidsn.
Options
6 Reply
RE305 also flooding network with ntp requests
2017-11-13 06:48:29
Hi,

the RE305 is exhibiting the same behavior (at least in AP mode) and flooding the network with a massive amount of ntp requests (about 80 per minute, i.e. 1.3 per second). Have you found a way to turn it off? Seems to me like a bug in the firmware.

Regards,
Michael Jahn
Options
Re:RE450 spams time.nist.gov and several other NTP servers constantly
2017-11-15 16:13:59
Hi,

I think it's fine, it won't affect the network.
Options
metered connections?
2017-11-20 03:45:36
... you are ignoring the fact that some may have metered connections. This is a bug and will eat into your data plan - absolutely unnecessarily.
Options
2017-11-24 11:25:41
I investigated this issue and wrote up my findings in detail for anyone who is interested.

Current versions of TP-Link repeater firmware use 715,4 MB per month just to show us “Internet Status: Connected” on a page that no one ever visits is just stupid. It’s implemented in a way that puts a strain on consumer’s bandwidth caps and on public infrastructure.

Windows uses 1,6 KB per month for NTP. TP-Link repeaters shouldn’t use any more than that.
Options
2017-12-18 11:48:52
I have the same device and found the same thing, it will send many DNS and NTP request to detect the online status. I really can understand the device need to know the Internet status, it will also useful for me soem time.
But I don't want it send too many packages always, although the data of 7MB/Day even can be ignored. So I tried to contact the support the tolink.\
And fortunately, they told me that are optimizing this mechanism, too, then they provided me a Beta for my current usage, so lucky! It seems that the official FW may be released soon...I think...

I can share my Beta to you with RE450 V1.
http://support.tp-link.com/f/0b37ccf57c/?dl=1
Options
2017-12-24 10:02:22
TP-Link has released new firmware for many of their range extenders that address this issue. The update changes the behavior from NTP+DNS requests on the public internet to ICMP pings on the local network.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1302

Replies: 6

Related Articles