Wi-Fi problem with WR941N

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-05-24 01:41:55
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hello everyone,

At my office, we use a broadband modem connected via Ethernet to the TL-WR941N. We have two computers connected via cable to the router and three connected via wifi (plus cellphones -- no more than 4-5 at any given time).

Four of the computers share files (we have one computer that stores all our documents) and we need to access them all the time. In particular, we share Excel worksheets, usually with some degree of problems (the files sometimes say they are locked, etc -- nothing a shared workbook doesn't cause every now and then). However, I've began to notice that two of the computers connected via wifi sometimes take ages to open a small Excel file (no larger than 100kb). I did hook the computer via Ethernet and tried to open the exact same file and voilá, that works like a charm. So that way I was able to rule out Excel or the "server" computer as problems.

I cannot leave the cable hooked all the time, though, because it's right in the middle of the office. Distance to the router is not an issue -- both computers are no further than 2 m from the router. And the wifi adapters in both computers are relatively new (one of them I bought less than 1 month ago, and both are TP-Link).

I wanted to know if there is any possibility that the wifi capabilities of the router have somehow "worn out" or something. I don't know how to test this. The signal strength is excellent in both cases.

Firmare on the router is 3.12.5 build 100929 rel. 57776n. The router is probably 5-6 years old at least, and was pretty much always on all these years.

Any help or ideas is more than appreciated.

3.12.5 Build 100929 Rel.57776n3

3.12.5 Build 100929 Rel.57776n
Options
2 Reply
Re:Wi-Fi problem with WR941N
2017-05-28 15:56:07

Xyberg wrote

I did hook the computer via Ethernet and tried to open the exact same file and voilá, that works like a charm. So that way I was able to rule out Excel or the "server" computer as problems.

Your diagnostic approach is linear, perhaps the assumption is not. I'd start by disabling the tcp offload and chimney windows setting on the respective wireless adapters
Let us know if this helped or you found a solution already.
Options
Re:Wi-Fi problem with WR941N
2017-05-31 03:44:07
Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find those settings on the wireless adapters.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 502

Replies: 2

Related Articles