Deco node starts blinking red shortly after connecting ethernet backhaul cable

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-07-09 05:22:15
Model: Deco M5

Hardware Version: 1.0

Firmware Version: 1.1.1 Build 20170614 Rel. 66381

So I'm trying to get ethernet backhaul working on my Deco M5 package but as soon as I connect an ethernet cable to the second Deco node the LED starts blinking red and the whole wifi network goes down.
The first node, configured as a router, still shows green LED even though the network is down.
I've also tried to have the second node connected via ethernet during initial setup but that doesn't work either. Of course I've also tried new cables and so on to make sure it's nothing wrong with them.
I'm yet to try the third node in the box but as I saw several people having issues with this I thought that I'll just ask about it first.

Below are two sketches.
The first method is how I've tried connecting it but without success. The second method is how I'd like to connect and also tried without success but I'm wondering if method two is even a possibility?

Options
16 Reply
Re:Deco node starts blinking red shortly after connecting ethernet backhaul cable
2017-07-09 19:33:55
Method 2, should be no problem, have it myself with 6 Deco's. a whole chain of Deco and switch combinations.You might want to install/setup all 3 without Ethernet yet and possibly not in final locations too.Just to get it running and then update firmware through the app and only then start reconnecting Ethernet. See if that helps.
Options
Re:Deco node starts blinking red shortly after connecting ethernet backhaul cable
2017-07-11 13:49:07
@Stevo82

"as soon as I connect an ethernet cable to the second Deco node the LED starts blinking red and the whole wifi network goes down"

May I know what does the other side of the ethernet cable go to? It seems there is probably another DHCP server on the other side of the Ethernet cable who assigns an IP address without internet access to the second Deco unit.
At this time, the Wi-Fi will lose internet. But you should be still able to connect to it. Just connect the Wi-Fi, check the IP settings and find out what the gateway address is. Then the device with gateway IP should be the root cause.
Options
2017-07-11 14:44:38
The other side goes to the first Deco unit that's been setup as a router.As far as I can see the WiFi just goes away hence I'm unable to connect to it at all and therefore unable to do anything with the Deco app since WiFi is the only way to connect?
Options
2017-07-11 15:18:44
Please try to connect the second Deco directly to the main one bypassing the switches.

If it works fine with the direct connection, then it seems the switches effect the Ethernet Backhaul feature. A possible reason is that the switches have a default management IP address 192.168.0.1, which is same as the LAN IP address of the main Deco unit, causing data cannot be transferred correctly.

In this case, it's recommended to change the default management IP address to another subnet on the switches.
Options
2017-07-18 22:53:39
So I've returned my DECO units to the store yesterday.
Yes they did work upon connecting them directly to each other having them just next to each other, tried for about 15 minutes.
Upon connecting them to the ethernet cables in my house, without any switches or other network components, it works but seems a bit unstable with the nodes going red from time to time. With switches connected it didn't work at all and I only have "dumb" switches without possibility to manage over any IP. I tried all switches I have, D-link and Zyxel.
Worth noting that I find it unlikely that the cables are the problems since everything else in my network works fine with good speeds and connections so not really sure why DECO seems so sensitive or perhaps the ethernet backhaul isn't just ethernet backhaul but rather a combination of that and wireless backhaul with the wireless coverage being the issue when I moved them away from each other.
Anyway I'm not interested in paying $300 for something that sensitive and unstable and hence I've returned them.
Options
2017-07-19 05:25:53

Stevo82 wrote

So I've returned my DECO units to the store yesterday.
Yes they did work upon connecting them directly to each other having them just next to each other, tried for about 15 minutes.
Upon connecting them to the ethernet cables in my house, without any switches or other network components, it works but seems a bit unstable with the nodes going red from time to time. With switches connected it didn't work at all and I only have "dumb" switches without possibility to manage over any IP. I tried all switches I have, D-link and Zyxel.
Worth noting that I find it unlikely that the cables are the problems since everything else in my network works fine with good speeds and connections so not really sure why DECO seems so sensitive or perhaps the ethernet backhaul isn't just ethernet backhaul but rather a combination of that and wireless backhaul with the wireless coverage being the issue when I moved them away from each other.
Anyway I'm not interested in paying $300 for something that sensitive and unstable and hence I've returned them.

It is good to know that you have gone through this and found it not to work. I am more than likely returning my set as well as the list of issues keeps growing with these. At this price point you really shouldn't have to deal with all these problems and lack of functionality.
Options
2017-07-22 08:22:08
I am having exactly the same problem as the OP. My network configuration is the same as the OP's method 2.

When I bypass my switch and plug my second deco directly into the first then it works fine.

My switch is is a D-Link DGS-108, which is an unmanaged switch; I am pretty sure it does not have an IP Address that might be conflicting with the Deco's IP Address.

I do not have any other device connected to the network that is running a DHCP server.

Could TP-Link please advise why my unmanaged switch might be causing this problem?
Options
2017-08-08 17:58:00
There may be some other special default settings on the switch .
You may troubleshoot like this. Connect a PC to the second deco via a cable and check what's the IP address the PC get.
Hope you can share the result.
Options
2017-08-27 09:05:18
I'm having the same issue with my unmanaged switches. I've tried both a d link GO-SW-5G and a tp link TL-SG1008D. When I try either switch my primary and secondary decos will alternate between blinking red and solid green and are unusable. Has anyone had eth backhaul success with unmanaged switches?
Options
2017-08-28 17:06:47

patatoeswizard wrote

I'm having the same issue with my unmanaged switches. I've tried both a d link GO-SW-5G and a tp link TL-SG1008D. When I try either switch my primary and secondary decos will alternate between blinking red and solid green and are unusable. Has anyone had eth backhaul success with unmanaged switches?

Has you updated the firmware of deco?
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 12832

Replies: 16

Related Articles