Frequent Asked Questions

Frequent Asked Questions

Frequent Asked Questions
Frequent Asked Questions
2017-07-11 16:19:14 - last edited 2021-08-05 02:37:09

1. How to set up Deco? Watch video

Make sure your Android or iOS device has access to the internet through cellular data or Wi-Fi, then follow these steps:
1) Download the Deco App from the App Store or Google Play.
2) Sign up for a TP-Link ID (email) in the Deco App.
3) Follow the instructions in the App to set up your primary Deco unit.
4) Continue following the instructions to add additional Deco units to your network.
5) Connect your wireless devices to your Deco network and enjoy it!

2. Does Deco support Access Point mode?
The latest firmware for Deco has supported Access Point mode. Please update your Deco and enjoy this feature.
The main Deco (first one setup) will work in Router mode by default after setup, you can switch the working mode into Access Point mode as need. The other two Deco units will extend the Deco network from the main unit, via both wireless or wired connection (Ethernet Backhaul).

How to set up Deco to work in Access Point mode?

Note: In AP mode, any router features will be non-configurable (including Parental Controls, Antivirus, Port Forwarding, Address Reservation, and QoS, etc), as all the IP addresses are assigned and controlled by the root router (not Deco).

3. Can I change the IP range of Deco? Can I change it to another subnet?
The default LAN IP of the main Deco unit is 192.168.0.1, and the default DHCP range is 192.168.0.100-192.168.0.199.
Deco will detect the IP conflict with the front-end modem or router. For example, if the front-end router has the LAN IP address of 192.168.0.1, then Deco will change its own IP range to 192.168.1.x.
Currently Deco M5/P7/M9 Plus has the option to change the LAN IP settings. For other Deco models, this feature will come soon in future updates.

4. How many devices can be connected to a Deco network?
The number of client devices that can be connected at once depends on the type of devices connected and the usage mix of those devices.
The Deco system supports to connect over 100 devices in homes with a mix of IoT products, smart TVs, smartphones, tablets and peripherals, such as wireless printers.

5. What can I do if I forget my password?

If you forget your Wi-Fi password

Launch the Deco app, tap "More" in the bottom right corner, then tap the "Wi-Fi" option. Then you will be able to view or change the current Wi-Fi password.

If you forget your login password of Deco app
Launch the Deco app, on the login page, tap "forget password". Then follow the instruction in the Deco app to reset your login password.

Please find more FAQs on the TP-Link official website:
http://www.tp-link.com/en/home-networking/deco/#support

Options
32 Reply
Access point
2017-07-27 13:37:23
It is now July 26...I would like to run this as AP, and it does not appear to be a possibility as of yet.
Any updates?
I have a router and many devices that are addressed (reserved) through that router, and there is no way that I could duplicate all that work on my cell phone using the TP Link App. So I would like to have the M5 connected to the router with addressing turned off.
Please help...

Regards,
CrashMW

TP-Link Deco wrote

2. Does Deco support Access Point mode?

Deco hasn's supported AP mode yet. However, we will add this feature in later firmware release in July.

Currently, the main Deco (first) will work in Router mode by default after setup, and the other two Deco units will extend the Deco network from the main unit, via both wireless or wired connection (Ethernet Backhaul).

Note: In AP mode, any router features will be non-configurable (including Parental Controls, Antivirus, Port Forwarding, Address Reservation and QoS), as all the IP address are assigned and controlled by the main router (not Deco).

http://www.tp-link.com/en/home-networking/deco/#support
Options
Re:Frequent Asked Questions
2017-07-29 15:55:10
It's available now after upgrading the firmware and app.
Options
2017-08-09 00:50:16
When checking for firmware updates through app it shows i am on the latest firmware v1.1.1 build 20170614 Rel. 66381 how can I get the latest firmware for AP mode the app verion is iOS v 1.2.9
Options
2017-08-11 08:52:31
It will be released soon before next week.
Options
2017-12-18 00:53:55
Hi,

Why such as product are so bad? beacue it is made for not work!

I try everything to solve any kind of problem on Deco M5 and it cant be solved.

If you try to add a Deco M5 in your basement it will really not work, beacuse there is no wifi signal to connect to network, ok, you bring a cable to connect to deco M5, IT DOESNT WORK,ok, you set a new WiFi Accesspoint form tplink to have wifi in the basement, now your smartphone can connect to internet and you can add a new Deco M5, ok, lets try it again.

turn on the deco m5
blue pulsing led
add new deco
start to communicate, tell it will take a minute, pass one hour and nothing happen!

Why? Because the crappy deco M5 need to have WiFi connection by each another unit to work, YES, it cant run by ethernet!

APP is a real mess, the Tp-Link software engineer and the project engineer are obivious dumb as well, they cannot even test a product in the real usage scenario prior to release it.

Now they cannot fix the mess they have done.

This product is a real mess.

Wifi Mesh??? hahahah, Access Point over your house works 100000% better.

The WiFi Mesh cant even sense your position to drop you wifi connection to reconnect to a better Deco M5 device, this is so obivious that you signal will be crap!

You can run in the same room that your device is, somehow if your signal is so strong the device kicks you and the other deco assume you connection, CRAP again.

You cant have One devcie in WiFi Mesh running and other running by cable, why? Simple doesnt work!

You can try anything but the true is:
Only work with a very good w[HTML][PHP][HTML][HTML][CODE][CODE][PHP][/PHP][/CODE][/CODE][/HTML][/HTML][/PHP][/HTML]ifi conection between units (seens it is a very low end wifi repeater)
Doesnt work by ethernet FE, Gigabit or any other cable.

Proof, try by your self. Can send all proofs on networks maps, logs, packages, traces, and you can discover the Deco M5 in the current version/usage is a CRAP!

I have request TP-LINK support, it is also crap, proof:
December 3 - ticket: [Deco Support #392432]: Deco(1.0)+BR

Still no answer, all is requesting...

Why? They already know the problem are trying to solve.

I Want my money back, I paid R$ 1500 (U$ 447) for a system that doesnt work.
https://www.americanas.com.br/produto/27584661/tp-link-deco-m5-whole-home-wi-fi-ac1300-dual-band-3-pack?opn=YSMESP&loja=9472026000107&epar=bp_pl_00_go_pla_infeaces_rlsa_novos_3p&WT.srch=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiAyNjRBRCpARIsAPDBnn33ZFXPCozK3sZyKYBa69-DMaMzHp_AETj3p149GhuAk-J6ltWv9Q8aAm7-EALw_wcB

TP-Link support cant solve anything.

Help? What kind of help?

DECO M5 DOESNT WORK AS THEY MARKETING...
Options
2017-12-20 16:50:36

filzek wrote

Hi,

Why such as product are so bad? beacue it is made for not work!
[...]

Help? What kind of help?

DECO M5 DOESNT WORK AS THEY MARKETING...

Your frustration is understandable. However, the Deco is marketed as a wifi mesh system where each node connects to the next wirelessly. If the nodes are not in range, you will not be able to connect them. Hopefully a firmware update makes this more reliable with only ethernet backhaul, but for now it seems you must connect wirelessly first. Perhaps you could try setting them all up in the same room (as in the instructional video) and then moving them to the basement?

As for your other connection problems, it would be helpful to know your actual topography. Maybe someone will see what is causing you problems.
Options
2018-06-19 16:17:17
I am a little confused. Is the best way for this to work to be via wireless only? In other words, if I plug in each of the 3 units into hard-wired ethernet does that mean it's working in AP mode in which case does the ART not work?

I want to purchase this product, but if it’s the mesh only works in extender mode then what’s the point?

I’m looking at the following potential connections depending on the coverage where → is a wired ethernet connection and --> is wireless

1. Checkpoint router→DECO 1→eithernet hub→DECO 2 and →DECO 3
2. Checkpoint router→eithernet hub→DECO 1, →DECO 2 and →DECO 3 all wired
3. Checkpoint router→DECO 1→eithernet hub→DECO 2 and --> DECO 3 (i.e. DECO 3 will be wirelessly connected to DECO 2.

I want one network with one SSID where I can move from area to area within the house and not drop a connection (so if I’m on a video call on my cell phone it will continue seamlessly)

Is this possible with the above configuration?

Does this require AP mode? Currently I have APs (not Deco) around the house and I lose QOS as my phone moves from area to area and I want to avoid this. I thought the point of a mesh system is that this all happens seamlessly.

Can somebody clarify?
Options
2018-12-21 11:20:58

i suspect i shan't get a reply since this forum is as dead as dead forums go... but you mention 64 devices ?!  thats pretty pathetic in this day and age of IOT devices... is that 64 concurrent?  what happens when it hits that magic number?  is that 64 PER Deco wireless access point?  When are you going to show how many devices are connected on each one of the mesh members?

if this thing falls over when i hit 64 devices (and i'm near to that currently)... its going to go straight back to amazon! 

Options
Re:Re:Frequent Asked Questions
2018-12-25 08:17:46

Already updated. Deco supports to connect over 100 devices now.

Options
2019-03-05 05:19:53

I'm depressed, I set router password and I forgot password, can't reset it and can't change it. HELP! FlappyBird Unblocked

Gamer, hard core gamer.
Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 21966

Replies: 32