How do they connect

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

How do they connect

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
How do they connect
How do they connect
2017-07-19 23:59:52
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi.

I have spent the last 30 min trying to get an answer to this. Live chat kept disconnecting me and then the lady I was speaking to didn't even understand how they worked.

All I want to know is do the TL-PA4010 connect wirelessly? I was told that they connect through the current electric wires in the home, but I cannot understand how this is possible. I bought these as I want to reduce the EMF signals in my home and was informed that these would accomplish that.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Options
11 Reply
Re:How do they connect
2017-07-20 16:19:15
Powerline network adapters do exactly what it says on the box. High frequency signals (2~68 MHz) are transmitted on the domestic power wiring to build a single common-media network.
Options
2017-07-20 16:48:02
TL-PA4010 doesn't connect wireless
Options
2017-07-21 01:59:14
Hi peter.I don't want to sound rude, but if I wanted a reply like that, then I would have read it on the box or instructions. I'm not tech savvy and I'm trying to understand exactly how they connect, so I can reduce EMF in the home. I have been told that the only way to do this is by running cat5 cable throughout. There is nothing on the market that is in comparison to cat 5 cables for the low EMFs that it produces, but both yourself and uutommi are saying that there is no wireless signal at all. Can you confirm that these adapters turn the electric cable into cat5 cable (in theory).Thanks.
Options
2017-07-21 14:23:35
not following you, as far as i know, these adapters are wall plug and have 1 ethernet cables as input or output, so they can transfer date in the powerline system. is that what you want to know?
Options
2017-07-21 15:22:33
Yes Shield101, that is what I wanted to know.

I have a family member that is coming to live with us and she is sensitive to EMFs (especially WIFI as it emits large amounts). Electromagnetic sensitivity is a condition that is caused by anything that produces EMFs (mobiles,WIFI, microwaves and these new smart meters produce the most around the home).
I am getting conflicting information though and that is why I am checking. I've been told by some electrician/data installer that for me to reduce EMFs caused by WIFI, then I need to change my WIFI router to a non wireless one and then run cat5 cable throughout the home, so it is all hard wired.

Doing it this way stops WIFI or any other signal being produced by broadband. He has told me that these devices do produce a wireless signal in some way, although it is not as strong as WIFI. I looked at them and there is a button on them called pair, does this connect each one together via the electric cable or do they connect wirelessly. I understand that the internet signal is sent through the copper electric cable, but not sure about this pair button. Also can they be used with a non wireless router?

Thanks for the time.
Options
2017-07-21 15:44:24
Electromagnetic sensitivity is, by all accounts that use actual scientific methods (e.g. double blind testing), a psychological condition that is nothing to do with radiation actually being present. Remember that electromagnetic waves are actually omnipresent - so working on a single apartment or house to get it "clean" caters exactly to that psychological condition, but doesn't actually, physically, achieve anything. Still, a lot of money is being made from it, and a lot of time wasted too.

That said, there still is nothing more to say about how powerline works. It is it's a 2~68 MHz range of carrier frequencies transporting your data on the house power wiring.
Options
2017-07-23 02:59:36
You are dealing with a couple of things here.

First, if you are in home with close neighbors, you probably are inundated with Wi-Fi signals -- just check your cell for "available Wi-Fi" networks. In my (USA) neighborhood with sem-detached homes, there are 11 additional networks besides mine with over 2 bars, including some printers.

And I will say that I don't know the frequencies of the various services, but I if I understood the results correctly, 4G services used by cell phone providers are just below the Wi-Fi -frequencies of home and business routers.

And you get EMF from electric motors, utility power lines, cordless phones in/near your home, passing cars with built in Wi-Fi, etc. There is even small field from the power lines in your home. Wireless remotes for TVs and other appliances, unless infrared, contribute. And all the little transformers scattered through your home as A/C adapters for your cell phones, laptops, USB desktop drives, etc. do their part.

I don't know if the TP-Link generated signals passing through the power lines generate a small EMF field themselves.

In short, if this a valid concern for any reason, find a reputable firm without a stake in the results [i.e. they only measure, they do not remediate] to do an independent survey of your home and assess where the EMF is coming from. My guess is that little of it is controllable by you.

And BTW, you don't have to buy another router -- merely shut off the wireless radio through its control panel.
Options
2017-07-25 14:18:15
Thanks Jerry.

That was exactly what I was looking for, an informative and constructive reply.

I live in a detached property with only one other wifi signal in range which is low. All I wanted to know was, do these devices send WIFI or other signal between each other. From what you have said, they seem to be a lot better than a WIFI router.

I'll go ahead and get it all set up and check with the EMF detector.

Thanks again.
Options
2017-07-25 15:09:29
Save your money. All the wires in your house are unshielded. Everything has an electromagnetic emission. So unless you go full Amish, your house will never be "clean". Again: By all science, it's purely psychological - and as such, it'll get worse the more you cater to it.
Options
2017-07-25 23:58:13
Hi Peter.

I don't understand it fully myself, but my own logic tells me that as technology is increasing in our world, it is causing more illness and disease. I'm not saying this is all down to EMFs, but an amalgamation of everything that has progressed to where it is today. I agree that unless you live totally off grid, then there are going to be EMFs around you, but surely it is better to limit these (especially the ones producing large amounts.

Maybe in 10 or 20 years they will have studies proving this, maybe not, Even if it is psychological, if it makes you feel better, who cares.

Thanks.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 980

Replies: 11

Related Articles