wa850re loses connection to router after a period of time

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-07-20 13:54:11
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

My extender (model: wa850re) loses connection with the main router (model: Zyxel SBG3300-N) after a period of time ranging from as little as 15 minutes up to about 2 hours.

Rebooting the extender 'fixes' the problem for another period of time.

When the extender loses connection, the RE light remains lit, and the signal display remains lit. The extender does not display any error condition and continues to broadcast a network claiming to be my home network (ie, you can connect to it using my home network's credentials) but that network does not 'break out' to the Internet.

The wifi network being broadcast by the router itself is fine and has a connection to the Internet.

I have performed a factory reset on the extender twice. The first time I reconnected it to the home network using WPS. The second time I reconnected it 'manually' using a web browser. Neither made any difference.

What am I supposed to do to fix this problem? How do I even begin diagnosing the root cause of this problem?
Options
11 Reply
Re:wa850re loses connection to router after a period of time
2017-07-20 15:15:21
try a firmware upgrade first. Then login the web management page of the extender to check the connection between router and extender. if you see a X between extender and router, move the extender closer to your router. Also change the channel on your router to 1 or 6.
if still no lucks, contact tp-link email support for further troubleshooting.
Options
2017-07-21 13:43:44

flying snow wrote

try a firmware upgrade first. Then login the web management page of the extender to check the connection between router and extender. if you see a X between extender and router, move the extender closer to your router. Also change the channel on your router to 1 or 6.

Thanks. Do you have a link to instructions for how to do a firmware update? I have no clue/
Options
2017-07-24 22:55:55

flying snow wrote

Hi, I found out how to do the firmware upgrade but none of the firmware downloads work. By which I mean, when I try to upgrade the firmware it says "Checksum error".

I downloaded the correct firmware for my hardware version (version 2) from the correct web site for my country (South Africa) and got a checksum error, and then tried downloading the firmware for my hardware version from the US web site and also got a check sum error. I downloaded the firmware for South Africa twice and unzipped it separately and still got a checksum error.

As far as I can tell the firmware files for my device are either faulty or something else weird is going on but I am unable to upgrade the firmware and unable to use the range extender, and must therefore unfortunately conclude that TP-Link products are crap and I will never make the mistake of buying one again.
Options
2017-07-25 02:52:37
I had the exact same problem just with a different model and found a admin form which provides an application which disables power saver for your wireless extender ( power saver automatically disables the extender if it has not been pinged for a certain period of time, usually 5 min ). Here's the link,

http://forum.tp-link.com/showthread.php?3666-how-to-solve-some-powerline-adapters-can%92t-be-waked-up-by-some-network-adapters&region=china

& here's the forum i found it on

http://forum.tp-link.com/showthread.php?2121-TL-PA511-powersave-issue/page3

Should work for all version of
Options
2017-07-25 09:21:43

EvanMorris wrote

Hi, I found out how to do the firmware upgrade but none of the firmware downloads work. By which I mean, when I try to upgrade the firmware it says "Checksum error".

I downloaded the correct firmware for my hardware version (version 2) from the correct web site for my country (South Africa) and got a checksum error, and then tried downloading the firmware for my hardware version from the US web site and also got a check sum error. I downloaded the firmware for South Africa twice and unzipped it separately and still got a checksum error.

As far as I can tell the firmware files for my device are either faulty or something else weird is going on but I am unable to upgrade the firmware and unable to use the range extender, and must therefore unfortunately conclude that TP-Link products are crap and I will never make the mistake of buying one again.

That's wired, I can download the V2 firmware on both South Africa and US website without any problem. What's your current firmware version?
Options
2017-07-25 14:39:49

Titan1190X wrote

I had the exact same problem just with a different model and found a admin form which provides an application which disables power saver for your wireless extender ( power saver automatically disables the extender if it has not been pinged for a certain period of time, usually 5 min ). Here's the link,

http://forum.tp-link.com/showthread.php?3666-how-to-solve-some-powerline-adapters-can%92t-be-waked-up-by-some-network-adapters&region=china

& here's the forum i found it on

http://forum.tp-link.com/showthread.php?2121-TL-PA511-powersave-issue/page3

Should work for all version of

Thanks. I will check this out although I don't think it's likely to be my problem. I am usually in the process of streaming something when the connection fails.
Options
2017-07-26 13:04:05

Shield101 wrote

That's wired, I can download the V2 firmware on both South Africa and US website without any problem. What's your current firmware version?

Firmware Version: 1.0.0 Build 20160527 Rel. 60757

Hardware Version: TL-WA850RE v2.0

To be clear, I am able to download the zipped files from the SA and USA web sites. I am able to unzip them. The problem is when I attempt the upgrade process on the device, after I select the .bin file and press Upgrade, it throws a checksum error.

As I said, as far as I can see the device is basically useless now.
Options
2017-07-26 14:26:25
are you using chrome to do that? try another web browser or computer? can you show us the screenshot?
Options
2017-07-28 13:19:29

Shield101 wrote

are you using chrome to do that? try another web browser or computer? can you show us the screenshot?

I was using Chrome (from a Linux laptop and also from my Android phone). However, I have now tried it on a Windows PC using Microsoft Edge. Same result. See the below screenshots, which show:

1. Selecting the file in the firmware upgrade interface.

2. The checksum error.

I'm about ready to abandon this whole thing and find a different solution for WiFi in my house.

Options
2017-07-28 17:16:28
Your Firmware Version: 1.0.0 Build 20160527 Rel. 60757 is already the latest one, the one you are trying to update is an old firmware. For the drop issue, it's better to contact TP-Link support to check it. http://www.tp-link.co.za/support-contact.html#E-mail-Support
Options