Archer C9 Battery Drain

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Archer C9 Battery Drain

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Archer C9 Battery Drain
Archer C9 Battery Drain
2017-07-29 16:43:35
Model : Archer C9

Hardware Version : V3

Firmware Version : 1.3.0 Build 20161018 rel.71163(4555) V4/V3

ISP :

Hello,

Recently my Archer C9 started to drain battery on my smart phones. I enabled the network traffic statistics and noticed that the packets reached 1000 very fast - just for several minutes. The phone is doing nothing - just stand by inside the network (I have disabled all apps that work through internet). Then I changed back to my old W841N and the problem is not seen. Its hardware version is v8 and the firmware is 3.15.9 Build140724 Rel.63227n. The packets stay as low as possible - not more than 400 for almost an hour!

The Archer C9 is hardware revision V3 (this is what the label on the back of the unit shows) and is running on stock firmware version 161018 for V3/V4. Which should be the latest one. The interesting thing here is that this firmware is no longer available on the TP-Link support page for V3. It is shown only under V4. Back then when I installed it the router gave me this update through its Firmware Upgrade page so I went for it... The smartphone is Huawei P10, running on Android 7.0. The problem is also seen on other devices running Android 6.0.

Have anyone noticed such behavior? Any ideas what can I do to fix it?
Options
7 Reply
Re:Archer C9 Battery Drain
2017-07-31 17:54:14
Never noticed this issue. You may try to check with Tech Support of TP-Link by email.
Options
2017-07-31 18:30:10
I already did this. They wanted some screenshots and firmware version confirmations. I sent them the info and currently I am waiting for their next reply.

Meanwhile I tried to reset the Archer C9 to its factory defaults and reconfigured it. Unfortunately the situation stayed the same. Also put Beacon Interval to its maximum value of 1000 and DTMI to 15. Still no difference...

Here is a screenshot that shows the battery drain:

Options
Same here
2018-03-06 08:55:16
I am having a similar issue. Archer C9 V1, even with the latest firmware updated.My old Apple AirPort Extreme 5th Gen would keep my battery Lasting long with smooth display. With this C9, I noticed that the display of my iPhone and iPad are crisp(like rendering a lot) and the battery % keeps dropping, even while I'm typing this... weird! I'm not even on 5G.I even took one of its antennae out cuz I have a studio place, pretty small. I'll try taking off all the antennae to see if it makes any difference. Is there any way(GUI) we could check the CPU/Mem usage of the router? Mine isn't even running hot. Never thought a router could eat devices battery. Must be a hungry one! lol
Options
2018-03-06 09:15:06
That's strange, I think you should send an email to TP-LINK support as well.

Geniusdevil wrote

I am having a similar issue. Archer C9 V1, even with the latest firmware updated.My old Apple AirPort Extreme 5th Gen would keep my battery Lasting long with smooth display. With this C9, I noticed that the display of my iPhone and iPad are crisp(like rendering a lot) and the battery % keeps dropping, even while I'm typing this... weird! I'm not even on 5G.I even took one of its antennae out cuz I have a studio place, pretty small. I'll try taking off all the antennae to see if it makes any difference. Is there any way(GUI) we could check the CPU/Mem usage of the router? Mine isn't even running hot. Never thought a router could eat devices battery. Must be a hungry one! lol
Options
2018-03-15 07:35:03
It's working fine now. I just turned on 5G only for all my devices. I think 2.4 was competing with my existing cellular frequency, which I believe is 3G/LTE. It seems to be working normal now. I wish there was a way to view CPU/Memmory usage in the dashboard. ?
Options
2018-03-15 09:36:08
Good post mate. There is CPU usage display on some routers now.
Options
2021-07-28 14:54:09 - last edited 2021-07-28 14:56:03

@vassil_bk 

I can confirm this behaviour on Archer VR2100 : I noticed battery drain on my Samsung Android tablet, I blamed some rogue android app for that. But then I noticed all 4 of my Android devices (all Samsungs) have battery drain (cca 1-2% a hour). Only recent change in my network was the new Archer VR2100 I bought 2 weeks ago.

I connected only to the 2.4GHz wifi on the Archer, because of better range. Now I will try only 5GHz or smart connect, to see if it helps.

Lol this is unbelievable, I would never suspect the wifi router to be the culprint of this.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 1229

Replies: 7

Related Articles