Archer C7 USB issue

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Archer C7 USB issue

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Archer C7 USB issue
Archer C7 USB issue
2017-07-29 20:27:27
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi all,

New user and just installed my C7 after lots of good reports. Set up was simple and easy and performance seems very good for WiFi. However 2 other reason I bought the C7 was to be able to plug in USB storage and Printers. So far only tried the USB storage but no success.

Gone through all the set up in the guides. plugged in light comes on and is visible when I go to the C7 access panel. It's there and set to share. Problem is it doesn't appear in my list of devices in windows explorer (nor does the router itself)

PC is win 10
Router is C& AC1750
[B]Firmware Version:
3.14.3 Build 150427 Rel.36706n
Hardware Version: Archer C7 v2 00000000

Any advice appreciated
[/B]
Options
9 Reply
Re:Archer C7 USB issue
2017-07-31 17:57:22
Is it working on your other computers? For windows 10, this link may help you: http://www.tp-link.com/en/faq-1354.html
Options
2017-08-01 00:01:25
All my PC's/Laptops are win10 and none can see the drive. re the link I don't get an error message because there is nothing to see on the network. I guess you would get that error if the drive was visible in explorer and you clicked on it to open it and it failed. The only place I see the drive in the TP-link control panel, so I know the router sees it but it doesn't appear to be able to tell the rest of the network about it.

I've tried 2 different USB HDD + 2 different USB sticks. None of them show up in explorer.

One possible pointer, should the TP-link router appear in my list of network devices when using explorer? because it isn't visible either. It does show up as network infrastructure device but that's all.
Options
2017-08-01 09:15:15
I am not sure about the explorer part. But to access the USB via the router, normally we can type in \\LAN IP (\\192.168.0.1 by default) in file explorer, or type in ftp://LAN IP in the address bar of a web browser to access it (if FTP is enabled). The methods in this link should also work: http://www.tp-link.com/en/faq-420.html
Options
2017-08-03 00:29:10
As I said in my first post I know how to see the USB via the router but seeing and accessing are not the same thing. I don't want to use ftp I just want to access and use it as a normal disk drive (as if it were plugged into my own machine) . So, for example, I have a word document on the USB drive. Specifically, how do I get Word to open the document if there is no way to see the individual files.

As you're trying to help I assume you use USB drives attached to your router and don't have a problem, How do YOU open the files (word,mp3,avi etc) on an attached USB in your network set up. You say you don't know about explorer, is that because you don't use a PC?

Thanks for your time in trying to help it is appreciated.
Options
2017-08-03 09:18:39
I also tried with a PC. If I open any folder on the PC and type in the address \\192.168.0.1 on the top of the folder, it would show me the files I put into the USB driver, then I would be able to click any file and open it.How do you try to access the files? Maybe you can show us a screenshot of the router's USB settings and the page when you want to access the files on the PC?
Options
2017-12-17 21:01:12
Been a while since I set up my wife's window 10 laptop on a C8. Press the windows key and 'R', you will get a window, and then enter \\192.168.0.1. You should be able to see and access the files in explorer.

On an Apple IMac enter in the command line of an internet browser (Chrome, Safari,...) SMB//192.168.0.1. You will be able to see and access the files in Finder.

Note that you may need to set some of the file sharing options to "on" on your PC.
Options
2017-12-18 03:19:16
Did you enable Folder Sharing and set a password?

you must also enable Sharing Folders ( Sharing All didn't work for me ) , you then get the to name the Shared Folder........ eg I used .... USB_Drive (and USB_Drive2 for the 2nd one)
and left the button for volume 1 on at the bottom so the Whole Drive is Shared. Also enable Authentication and Media Sharing. And Write Access if all Users can read/write (save/erase) to the Drives otherwise they will be able to view the Drives ( and files) Only.

You can then use "add a network location" in Explorer (or map a drive in Explorer) by typing in the Router IP address , eg mine is 192.168.1.121 followed by \USB_Drive .....
( I named this connection USB Drive on Router)

Eg: for Drive 1 \\192.168.1.121\USB_Drive

( the \\ tells Windows the Server Name (IP address) , the \ tells it the shared (root) folder on the server )

which you use depends where you want it to show ..... under Network locations or under Devices and Drives like a normal HDD.

I found set up as a Network location that Win10 FCU adds it to the top of the Explorer Pane anyway just under 3D Objects... above all the other Drives

KB.

Options
2017-12-24 05:30:13
Maybe the following link might be useful.
http://www.tp-link.com/en/faq-420.html
Options
2017-12-25 13:22:27
Sorry, gave up on this and bought a linksys, which worked first time.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1774

Replies: 9

Related Articles