How to set up Deco to work in Access Point mode?

How to set up Deco to work in Access Point mode?

53 Reply
Re:How to set up Deco to work in Access Point mode?
2020-08-24 07:37:42
Options
2020-09-20 08:24:15

@TP-Link Deco The wireless AP cannot be connected to a modem. Typically, a switch or a router will be used as an intermediary. While the wireless router has a broadband dial-up function, which can be directly connected to a modem for dial-up Internet https://gbwhatsapp.fun/

https://gbwhatsapp.fun/gb-whatsapp-apk-download/
Options
2020-10-30 04:23:07

Hi, all:

I have a mesh with both X60 (3) and W3600 (2). Four of the 5 devices have Ethernet connections (one of the W3600's uses wireless backhaul). I have the whole mesh in AP mode, and so far is working great.  Note that these were all purchased recently (late October 2020).

I detailed how I did the setup in a reply to the "How to set up Ethernet Backhaul ..." thread): https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/98898?replyId=507750 ... reply #377 (currently on page 27 of that thread).

Options
Re:Re:How to set up Deco to work in Access Point mode?
2020-11-22 16:58:53

@MDec 

This isn't only on the m series. The x20 has same exact problematic behavior. The still broadcast dhcp in AP mode which destroys the network....

Options
Re:Re:How to set up Deco to work in Access Point mode?
2020-12-15 16:37:34

@tyw214 I have just purchased the X20 and have the exact same issue. It makes AP mode a non-starter for me.

Options
2020-12-15 18:00:15 - last edited 2020-12-15 18:09:02

I have not had an issue with multiple Deco's in AP (Access Point) mode.

I will relay this 'story', though, about how I ended up having to "work-through" adding a new Deco to the existing AP network.

The issue seemed to be that the 'new' Deco was far enough behind in its firmware that it wouldn't join with the mesh; it wasn't getting recognized (or 'found', as the app reports it).

The TP-link video suggests taking the 'main' Deco offline and creating a new network -- essentially re-building the network.  I was unwilling to do that!  What did work was to (in short) create a new network with just the new Deco (wired connection to switch->router so it had Internet access), let the Deco firmware update, and then I 'removed' that one-Deco -- which destroys that newly created network.  However, since its firmware was now current with the rest of the existing mesh, it was then added (smoothly) into the existing mesh.

Key factor is that a 'reset' Deco broadcasts its own network (Deco_XXX) when it starts up.

1) Explicitly set phone to that Deco_XXX network.

2) Start the Deco app, and it should 'find' that single new Deco.

3) Go through the steps of creating a new network (give it a 'junk' name & password, because it'll go away when you're done).

4) As you're going through those initial steps, when the Deco "sets up" that 'junk' network, go back to the phone settings and explicitly connect to that 'junk' network (your phone will probaby revert to another 'default' existing network while the new Deco reboots).

5)  As long as that new Deco has Internet access, it should then find any firmware updates.  Go through that firmware update; again, after the reboot(s), make sure your phone is explicitly connected to the 'junk' network.

6) While that new Deco will be acting as a router for the 'junk' network, there is no need to switch it to AP mode at this point, because the next steps will destroy that network.

7) Click the Internet (globe) icon so you are viewing that Deco (your phone should be the only client).  Then click the 'dots' in the upper right so you have the choice to "Remove" that Deco.  You'll get messages about it getting reset, etc. .... but that's okay, because this is not a "hard" reset; the Deco still retains its now-up-to-date firmware.

8) Remove the power, then plug it back in.  (Your phone should be back on your "default" existing network; you may want to check that.)

9) Restart the Deco app (i.e. on your 'default' network), and click the "+" to add that new Deco into the existing AP-mode Deco mesh.  I always use a wired connection (either to a switch or to one of the existing Deco's) until it is "joined".

10) Once it is 'joined' with the wired connection, then it can be moved to its final desired location -- even if that will be a wireless location.  In one case I had to reboot the new Deco twice in its new location.  I think it had to do with it getting a littlle confused as to whether it was using wired or wireless backhaul.

--- and this all has to be done for EACH newly-acquired Deco you want to add so they all have up-to-date firmware.

It seems that getting the firmware up-to-date can be really important.  And that may have to be done for each Deco unit individually before you can join it (or them) into an existing mesh.  Said another way: if the to-be-added Deco's firmware is not current, it may have difficulty being joined to an existing mesh.  The solution is to get that unit's firmware updated (with a separate network), then add it to the mesh.  

Options
2020-12-28 06:21:29 - last edited 2020-12-28 06:25:29

@TP-Link Deco 

1. Connect a mobile device to the Deco router.
  2. Open the Deco app.
  3. Tap the Settings icon at the bottom right corner, then tap Advanced.
  4. Tap Working Mode, then choose Access Point mode.
  5. The app will indicate to reboot the router
  6. tap OK.
Options
2021-01-21 12:50:02

@TP-Link Deco 

Would it be possible to add static DHCP rules (or DHCP reservations) in AP mode ?

Then deactivate the DHCP of the box. Fix the IP of the DECO boxes. And let the DECO in AP mode manage the DHCP reservations when a device connect to them ?

That would be good to dissociate the box from the deco. Because fr the moment, in AP mode, if i change the box, i have to make the dhcp reservations from sratch on the new box.

Options
2021-01-21 23:52:39

@frederikk As far as I'm aware, DHCP is always handled by a network device running in router mode and not in access point mode (irrespective of the device's manufacturer). If you want the DECO access points to hand out IP addresses, they would have to be setup in router mode.

Options
2021-01-22 04:17:49

@KrisG 

Hi KrisG,

I'm surprised. I thought you can run a DHCP server on any device you want, router or not, especially in a mono LAN environment. Because to be fair our box is not routing much, usually we have 1 network at home, and it is just taking packets to host which are not in this network and send them to our ISP...roughly.... it is not like there were a million routes on it. So i can imagine the DHCP server running on the DECO, shut the DHCP on the box, and then any device connecting to DECO could have the DHCP reservation. For the wired devices, the DHCP should be configured to point to the DECO instead of the box when not configured in fix IP.

Options
Related Articles