Access point mode + Ethernet Backhaul - NOT WORKING

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-08-19 16:56:24
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I have purchased 3 Decos. I already attempt to set it up more than 3 times over the last 2 weeks. Was told to wait for new firmware.....

New firmware is finally here . 1.1.3

Here is my desire set up:
Modem/ router/ switch => CAT6 => Deco1
=> CAT6 => Deco2
=> CAT6 => Deco3

How I set the Decos up:
1) I reset all Decos
2) I plug Deco1 with CAT6 to the switch
3) Pair it with the APP
4) Power up Deco2 ( not connected to the switch, only USB power )
5) Pair it with the APP
6) Power up Deco3 ( not connected to the switch, only USB power )
7) Pair it with the APP
8) Check and updated firmware on all Decos - saw it reboot
9) "Working mode" finally available and I change network to AP mode
10) Connect my mobile to new SSID/ Network. Check I am in the same subnet as the router. All good
11) Power down Deco2 and Deco3 and move it to my other room which has CAT6 to the Modem/ router/ switch
12) Plug them in and wait
13) All Deco LED is Green after a few mins

Try connect to the new SSID/ Network, Seems like the network is up and down....I saw "connecting....", back to 4G, and "connecting...." Never managed to connect
Also try my laptop. Same, cannot connect!

What is the issue here??

I cannot daisy chain ( that would require 2 CAT 6 in each room, not practical! ) and cannot use wireless between Deco, the Wifi is too weak between them. I do not want to add a 2nd switch, that is crazy for AP mode! The Modem/ router/ switch and Decos are all on the same subnet anyway...And I can see them from my router admin pages, all given unique IP.

What is going on??? Please help....I want 1 SSID for my whole house, it is the value of Deco. My current router + old extenders work fine but I have different SSIDs depending on where I am, moving equipment is also a nuisance....

Please fix.

Click here for Available Solution
Options
14 Reply
Re:Access point mode + Ethernet Backhaul - NOT WORKING
2017-08-20 00:35:31
***SAME HERE***

Exact setup and problems now after upgraded to latest firmware/app. Worked fine before upgrade.
Options
2017-08-20 07:04:15
I experienced the same problem with my Deco after I upgraded to 1.1.3 firmware. TP Link, please help us with a new firmware!!!!
Options
2017-08-20 07:13:38
***SAME HERE***

How did you get yours to work? There is no "Working Mode" and hence, no "AP Mode" in earlier firmware. Was on 1.1.1
Options
2017-08-20 08:31:20
Same exact issue here....
Options
2017-08-20 15:53:24
Add me to the list as well.
NOT HAPPY...
Options
2017-08-20 19:01:09
Same here
Options
2017-08-21 02:09:29

fishbee wrote

How did you get yours to work? There is no "Working Mode" and hence, no "AP Mode" in earlier firmware. Was on 1.1.1

I didn't and gave up after 3 hours of trying an then coming here to the forum and seeing your post that I am not the only one. The previous revision ( 1.1.2 Build 20170725 Rel. 55542 which is not on the TP Link Download page anymore) was the Fimware that did initially introduce AP Mode and worked flawlessly for me in AP Mode setup exactly how you have/want yours.
Options
six hot paperweights
2017-08-21 10:55:28
this entire deco fiasco is starting to get irritating. I bought six of these things to act as hot paper weights.
Options
2017-08-21 17:52:57
you may set the main unit as router mode, or connect all deco units through WiFi, just connect the main one to router/switch with cable, then for other units, you can set them in AP mode, link to the main one wirelessly.
Options
2017-08-22 00:47:30

Kevin SG wrote

you may set the main unit as router mode, or connect all deco units through WiFi, just connect the main one to router/switch with cable, then for other units, you can set them in AP mode, link to the main one wirelessly.

Sure you can. No offense though but that is not a fix. It is a workaround and one that forces you into a configuration (Non-AP Mode) you might not want to use not to mention a less optimal (non-wired) setup for longer distances that I need to cover.

For now, these sit on a table in my basement unhooked. I will give it a week or so and if nothing comes out of this, I am afraid I will contact Amazon for a return like others have done after their return window expired. I really just want these to work though.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2437

Replies: 14