What should I do if my TP-Link router does not detect my USB storage drive

Released On: 2018-11-26 08:29:26Last update time: 2018-11-26 08:29:26

Because of the varety of USB storage drives in the market, it is difficult for us to make our routers compatible with all them.

Before you begin troubleshooting, please make sure that the drive works correctly when it is connected directly to your computer.

Case 1

1. Format your hard drive. 

2. Contact TP-Link support with information including model number of hard drive, capacity, partition table (MBR or GPT) and format type (FAT32, NTFS, EXT2, EXT3, etc.)

Case 2

1. Check hard drive format type

Currently, the FAT/FAT32/NTFS format is supported and some models like C8/C9/C2600/P5 also support exfat/hfs+. However, it does not support ext3, which is a Linux partition format.

2. Check Capacity

TP-Link router supports at most eight partitions in theory, if the hard drive has more than eight partitions, it just loads the first 8 partitions. (On the same drive, the total capacity of each partition cannot exceed 2TB for WR842N, WR1043N, WDR3500, WDR3600, WDR4300; If there are different hard drives connected via an USB hub, in theory the router can detects a maximum capacity of 8 * 2TB. Similarly, the other models with USB function like our archer series routers, the total capacity of each partition of usb drive cannot exceed 5TB).

3. Check Encryption 

For hard drives encrypted by hardware, data can only be loaded after it is decryption.

4. Additional Power Adapter

Some drives require an additional power.  If your hard drive needs more than 500mA of power, but it does not have an additional power adapter, then that drive is not compatible with our routers, since they can only provide up to 500mA power supply on the USB port.

5. Contact TP-Link support with information including model number of hard drive, capacity, partition table (MBR or GPT) and format type (FAT32, NTFS, EXT2, EXT3, etc.)

Comment

MR3420 V2 not detecting modem alcatel mw40v please file usb 3G

USB 3.0 Port is not detecting USB 3.0 devices. It just does not work! Please release an update for this or return back our money for Archer C9 model!

Hello,

I have a problem with my 5TB WD HDD, and my new router vr2100 (AC2100 Wireless MU-MIMO VDSL/ADSL Modem Router).

All my other HDDs work with this router (Seagate), But when I pug my new 5TB (Formatted ExFat), it doesn't like it and shows the drive as 0GB in the Web/Admin site.

Can you please give me some advice?

Wade

I have a very similar problem to auswade

TP-Link Archer VR2100 modem/router (AC2100)

3TB NTFS format Seagate expansion USB HDD (USB 3.0)

When I plug my USB HDD into the modem/router, the modem recognises and mounts the HDD, but shows it as 0GB, and so the content cant be accessed.

If I plug the HDD back into my laptop, all the content is there, and available.

This HDD was used in exactly this same way with 2 previous TP Link modems (Archer D9 and Archer VR1600v) without problem.

HDD is not encrypted, and does not have bitlocker installed

Thank you

Hello, World ! Wi-Fi

My AX11000 USB 3.0 port all of a sudden is not recognizing my WD Elements 6TB HDD. My laptop recognizes the drive and I can access everything on it with no problem. The 2.0 port can see the other drive ok. That tells me the port is bad, now what? I purchased this router in March 2021 two months ago.

tplink vr600 ac2100 not support gpt ,, meaning that you can't plug any hard disk more than 2 t.b partion 

my AC2100 Archer600 does not support my Passport 4TB hard drive.

please advice.

VR400 does not detect USB storage on USB port

TL-WR902AC not detecting my Seagate 5tb formatted for NTFS GUID. When I try to mount the drive via SMB, I get a message saying "There are no shares available.."

It works if I format the drive a MBR but the drive size if not correct when do this.

upload
    upload