What should I do if my internet speed is slow when my device is connected to the TP-Link router?

Released On: 2018-11-27 07:49:23Last update time: 2018-11-27 07:49:23

There are many factors can affect a device's network speed, this FAQ will help you isolate and troubleshoot some of them.

This Chart will help you decide which case to refer to.  keep in mind we will want to rule out the ISP as the cause of the issue first.  

CASE ONE

Please do the following steps:

Step 1

Connect a computer dirrectly to your router via ethernet and preform a speedtest(www.speedtest.net). We recommend runing the test three times without doing any high bandwidth behaviors.   

Step 2

Contact TP-Link support with the above results for further assistance.

CASE TWO

Please do the following steps:

Step 1

Connect a computer dirrectly to your router via ethernet and preform a speedtest(www.speedtest.net). We recommend runing the test three times without doing any high bandwidth behaviors.

Step 2

Do the same test but connected to your wireless SSID.

Step 3

Check your device's wireless link speed.

For windows like below,

For Mac OS

Make sure you select network utility. Select Info tab and choose Wi-fi (en0 or en1) on the drop-down options. Please note that the Link Speed is your wireless connection speed. In this example, my connection speed is set to 450 Mbit/s (Mega bits per seconds).

Step 4

Log into your router and change the channel width,2.4G→40MHz,5GHz→80Mhz, and retest the connection.

Step 5

Is the speed issue occuring 5GHz, 2.4GHz, or both? 

For 2.4GHz, change the Channel (channels 1, 6 and 11 are generally best, but any channel can be used, please try a few more channels). 

Step 6

Contact TP-Link support with the above results for further assistance.

Comment

TP Link Router AC1750 Model(s):

This is completely a (BIG RIP OFF Scheme) by either the TP Link Company itself or some tricky suppliers of the same product... I purchased the one with 1 usb port and fully tested it the outcome was the router with 1 usb port IS LESS SPEED THAN the one with 2 usbs...I have a 500mb/s Internet connection at home and I own BOTH ROUTERS (Package wise they are ENTIRELY IDENTICAL with ONLY 1 Difference (1 more Usb port EXTRA nothing ELSE)... many people still think they are the same in everything and badly being blackmailed by thinking they are saving money by buying the one with single usb port; which in fact is a definitely (RIP OFF CASE) that's uncovered to many people out there. Be Careful about what you're buying over the Internet Space these days EVERY 1

TP Link Router AC1750 Model(s):

This is completely a (BIG RIP OFF Scheme) by either the TP Link Company itself or some tricky suppliers of the same product... I purchased the one with 1 usb port and fully tested it the outcome was the router with 1 usb port IS LESS SPEED THAN the one with 2 usbs...I have a 500mb/s Internet connection at home and I own BOTH ROUTERS (Package wise they are ENTIRELY IDENTICAL with ONLY 1 Difference (1 more Usb port EXTRA nothing ELSE)... many people still think they are the same in everything and badly being blackmailed by thinking they are saving money by buying the one with single usb port; which in fact is a definitely (RIP OFF CASE) that's uncovered to many people out there. Be Careful about what you're buying over the Internet Space these days EVERY 1

Dear Sir,

I purchased online from Amazon.com TPLink 300Mbps Wifi Range Extender AV600 Powerline Edition TL-WPA4220 KIT. I connected it to my router as advised and tired to connect to it with my mobile. The speed it shows is very slow. My router is having 5G connection of 120 Mbps speed and also 4G connection of 60 Mbps. When I completed the setup with TPLINK and connected my mobile and tested the speed it showed only 12 Mbps dowload and 15 Mbps upload speed. But when I connect my mobile with my router and test the speed, I get 120 Mbps and when I connect my mobile with my router to 4G connection and test the speed i get around 60 Mbps. Why the TPLINK wife extender powerline is not providing the same speed? Is there something I should do to choose the speed on the TPLINK during the setup or after the setup?

Please advise.

im having the same issue...i have faster speeds when conntected to the fios router than i am connected to me Tplink network.   Dramtically different...  FIOS 5ghz WIfi is 390/287 vs TpLink is 48/48

Just got Deco M5. My internet subscription speed is 300Mbps down and 15Mbps up. I pluged the main M5 directly to modem.  However, when I tested with a Note 8 close to the main router, I only get 150/9. Even on a wired PC, I could not get 150/9. I prepared to return the Deco M5 set. 

One thing made me wondering is that if I test Internet speed with the Deco App, I could get 310/16. There must be something throttleing the speed on devices. I found I can set Bandwidth in QoS. So I set my bandwidth manually to 500Bbps down and 25Mbps up. Bingo, I can get 300/15 up now.

So, my conclusion is the QoS plays a load balancing role when testing speed on connected devices. The speed tested on router via QoS => Total Bandwidth is the real speed. There is nothing wrong with my router.

I am using TP Link Archer C 60. Currently wifi performance is very poor. The signal drops very frequently and and reduces to '0' and not reaching peak bandwidth provided by ISP. Connecting through Ethernet cable it is working well. How the problem could be solved?  

This TP LInk solution is a bluff, is not a Dual Band at all, I have an R200 and the 5gz network extension is at the same speed that the 2.4 gz even with the router plug....a loose o my money and very very poor support 

Thank you

Hello, World ! Wi-Fi

When I'm using my Netgear 5GHz band WiFi (NETGEAR26-5G), I get speeds of 100 Mbps.  When I connect to the extender at the same frequency, (NETGEAR26-5G_EXT) I barely get 50 Mbps.  The signal from my NETGEAR26-5G is showing about 3 bars and from the extender it's showing all five bars.  Is there something wrong with my extender?  I have the RE505X Wi-Fi 6 Range Extender.  Thank you, in advance, for your kind attention.

aywbayb43@gmail.com

upload
    upload