How to optimize Wi-Fi when working from home

Used Products:
× 1
General Product

As COVID-19 (the disease caused by the 2019 coronavirus) spread worldwide, going out has become a dream, and working from home has become a reality for many.

If your Wi-Fi goes off while you're watching a movie, it’s a bummer. But if this happens when you are talking to your boss via Skype or having a meeting via Zoom, it will be a disaster. To avoid the above when working from home, here are some ways to optimize your home Wi-Fi experience.

Part 1: Optimize based on your router

Part 2: Optimize together with other products

Part 1: Optimize based on your router

1. Move closer to your router

The distance between the router and your devices will impact the connection speed. Moving your devices closer to the router will ensure a better connection, and it may be the most effective solution with the least amount of hassle.

2. Find a good spot for your router

The Wi-Fi speed is affected by distance, obstacles (such as walls and ceilings), electronic interference, and the number of devices connected to the network. Therefore, try to place your WiFi router in a central, open location to maximize signal coverage. Furthermore, keep it away from other electronics that may cause interference, such as microwaves, refrigerators, and cordless phones.

3. Update your router’s firmware

Firmware improvements can fix annoying bugs, help your router maintain optimal performance, and sometimes even add support for faster speed. For your TP-Link router, you can go to the router’s web management page or the Tether app to update the firmware. The latest firmware will also be released on the TP-Link official website, where you can download it for free.

4. Change the Wi-Fi channel

If neighboring wireless networks are using the same channel as yours, then you will experience signal congestion due to a large number of connected devices.

If you have a dual-band router, you can switch the router from a 2.4 GHz WiFi channel to 5 GHz for faster speed and less interference. If your router is limited to 2.4 GHz, try to change to a fixed channel 1, 6, or 11.

5. Prioritize your network traffic with QoS

Gaming, video calls, and movie streaming consume a lot of bandwidth. If your router (e.g. TP-Link Archer C4000) supports the QoS (Quality of Service) feature, you can prioritize the internet traffic of specific online activities, such as gaming or streaming. Activities set as high priority will be allocated more bandwidth and run smoothly even when there is heavy traffic on the network.

Part 2: Optimize together with other products

All routers are only capable of broadcasting reliably up to a certain distance before the signal gets weak. If your Wi-Fi is good and you want to extend your signal beyond that, you'll need a range extender of some sort.

1. Use a wireless range extender

If you have a small dead zone, the range extender is an inexpensive fix that can improve the reliability of connections in that one problem room in your home. While this may not speed up the connection, it can boost the signal into the dead spots of your house or office. For example, if your router is on the first floor of your house, you may want to add a wireless range extender on another floor to boost the signal. It can be a big help in areas with thick walls or other physical structures that can impede a wireless signal.

2. Add access points

Think of access points as creating a wireless mesh around your house. They transmit Internet signals to each other to create a wireless network. They are created for large spaces with multiple floors.

If your Wi-Fi sucks everywhere, it may be time to start over. If your router is more than a couple of years old and is struggling in more places than not, a newer router or a mesh kit will improve the range, stability, and speed all over your home.

1. Think about a newer router

If you’re working from home with kids home from school as well, your router may need to connect to dozens of devices at the same time. A new router or mesh kit will be able to keep all those laptops, tablets, gaming consoles, printers, and streaming boxes connected to a stable network. Definitely consider a replacement if you’re still using an 802.11 b/g/n router from the early 2010s.

Technologies change rapidly, and one of the best ways to speed up your wireless network is to use the latest hardware. Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax) is the biggest leap in wireless technology in over a decade.

Newer Wireless-AC routers have data transfer speeds up to three times faster than older Wireless-B/G/N models, and they offer “dual-band” functionally so you can free up channels for older wireless devices to access.

New Wi-Fi 6 routers have data transfer speeds nearly 3x faster2 than standard Wi-Fi 5 solutions, and they offer “dual-band” functionally so you can free up channels for older wireless devices to access.

Update routers, gateways, and devices to the latest Wi-Fi 6 standard. Experience Gigabit speeds and improved responsiveness with PCs and routers featuring best-in-class Wi-Fi 6.

2. Upgrade to a Mesh-Based Wi-Fi System

Standalone routers should be fine for average-size homes, while mesh kits are recommended when you need to cover a larger space or if your house contains Wi-Fi–blocking materials such as masonry or metal construction.

If you want seamless connectivity everywhere in your home, manageable from a simple smartphone app, consider upgrading your whole network a mesh Wi-Fi system instead.

Designed to cover every corner of your home, mesh Wi-Fi systems aim to replace your router rather than just extend it.

Comment

Thanks,

It helped me when I extend my Wi-Fi connection to the upper portion of my house using another tp-link router.

Regards,

Becky Emilia

Email: beckatback@gmail.com

Websites: www.djcontrollerhub.com

www.motorcyclehelmetpub.com

Best information about router. I also What is meaning of LSI.

thanks for sharing.
My tp-link router in well. by the way, I work from home.
my work subject is,
https://nflprobowl2021.com

Hello,

Is repeater feature available in TP Link Archer C9 router?

Regards,

Ravi

I have been looking for this information for a long time, I was very surprised when I found it here. router login

Thank you so much for providing such a great 

For some individuals, the workplace is additionally your home. More individuals telecommuting, be that as it may, implies an expanded interest on solid home WiFi, on top of the generally rising number of associated gadgets from the kitchen to the carport. 

While numerous WiFi items appear to be comparable on a superficial level, not all WiFi organizations and items are the equivalent. With such countless sellers, network choices, and items available, it very well may be befuddling where to begin. What do you truly have to expand your home organization?

1. Test WiFi speed
  2. Ditch Your Old ISP Router/Modem
  3. Upgrade to Mesh WiFi
  4. Add WiFi Range Extenders

Thanks

Komal Mahajan

https://www.komalmahajan.com

I hope Tplink can make firmware lock cell id for router mr 6400 v4

Oh Really Nice Info Related To How to optimize Wi-Fi when working from home  Thank for Sharing < ahref="https://www.zworthkey.com/"></a>

Oh Really Nice Info Related To How to optimize Wi-Fi when working from home  Thank for Sharing

< ahref="https://www.zworthkey.com/"></a>

upload
    upload
      Subscriptions