New member since buying a Tp-Link Router yesterday

Hello hope to get some nice discussions going and some help, tips amd pointers maybe 

So ive been more and more into having better control and overlook of my home network

and recently i bought a nice 1year old used computer, and simce my internet provider dumped a garbage router on me im going to buy a nice router to makes use of the pretty nice wifi-cardin the computer, wifi 6 and 16Mhz wpa3 

So when i saw a more than 30% price-cut campaign on a router with all these funktions listed on the box i couldn’t resist, who can when you know you have great deal.  It all went very fast, all things listed and with the Tether app it should be perfect for a network-tinkering- newbie

opening the box was when i really started feeling like real nerd, I wasnt prepared for it to look this cool…I love the ALIEN and it was my first thought it looked like some alien space crab 

yeah so everything hooked up, my internet is provided by COAX/Cable so that cant go, but shouldnt i be tweaking something in admin setup on it? I disabled wifi of course so the only thing coming trough goes the Ax95 router

but for example the cable modem has a firewall and after resetting to factory it goes into  medium.  Should i set it to high? Then i will loose speed i guess. Or low ?  Or should completely make it spread eagle ???  That doesnt seem very smart, now mi thinking the modem is a frontline wall.

i cant find anything about whats optimal, yeah i can try but i dont want get intruders. 

One other thing was the vpn function, saw it on the box and later some photoslide show on tp-link.com and damn not a word mentioned about what you see later about actually setting it up, just looking at tp guide, and comparing with my provider it gets confusing pretty fast 

Now im also trying to get a good overview of the network in tether but it doesnt feel like it did in tp-links promovideo and at first i wanted get a bit of overview but it got confusing and sweaty fast, constant prompts from webbrowser about the tether app that sat with in my hand on the phone, but it continued to the point i thought there might be  a windows app for tether to, but it doesnt exist RIIIIGHT ? And prompting on local password, got me really confused, cuz somewhere else just before when i connected to wifi they didnt put it like that, local password when wifi-logon should and more prompts about technical stuff right up im the middle of this. But it said stuff like linking and syncing logged on devices and merging yeah it all went fast as suspected but the prompting so much at once and passwords right and left 

well now i dont se any overview of whats going on, and im guessing that wont happen in tether but in admin login 

That also flashed by in the middle of everything, that the modem of course has 192.168.0.1 so the router got 192.168.0.101 i think…but i guess it

but isnt there i quick eay to get there from tether or when im logged on to my tp-ID ? 

Yeah hope im not sounding bitter or anything just bit overwhelmed 

because this 👾 alien spaceship i seriously fast, whatever heavy sight i can think of just blinks and its done ! 

Thanks for me now I will try finding more info 

//Wenander

Comment

Hi, thanks a lot for sharing your experience with our product.

1. Usually firewall settings on the cable modem affects network security instead of the internet speed, you could also test the modem speed by connecting a computer directly to the cable modem.

2. For the VPN setup issue, if it still doesn't work now, please provide more details about your setup and the issue, and are you trying to set up a VPN Server or VPN Client on the TP-Link router?

You could also refer to this FAQ: How to Establish a VPN Connection on TP-Link Wi-Fi Router

3. To login the web interface of the router, you need to enter its local administrative password which is created by yourself when you login at the first time via either web interface or Tether App, and if it is bound to a TP-Link ID, you could also login via the TP-Link ID and password.

How do I log into the web-based Utility (Management Page) of TP-Link wireless router?

Congratulations on your new router, Alien is probably the best looking WiFi router out there, I am thinking of buying it and after your description I want it even more, it's great for online games and as I love gaming online and I really have fast internet(but an older router) I'll definitely get it soon :)

-----------------

firekirin

jonyshordar2@gmail.com

upload
    upload
      Subscriptions