Configuring a range extender to avoid network issues and IP address conflicts

When configuring a range extender for the first time, you have to consider that it's DHCP server is set to Auto which may cause some network issues.

While this was made to improve the user experience it also may cause some IP conflicts and network instability.

There's a guide on how to mitigate this in such cases - for example this FAQ.

Based on my experience I took a little bit different approach on this problem.

Let's say that we have a router (Archer C64) which is configured with these LAN settings:

and it has the following DHCP server settings:

Let's say I have configured a range extender (TL-RE450) via WPS or tether app method.

Finding the IP address through the Archer C64 DHCP Client List table usually it's easy (RE450 receives its IP address by defaults by the Archer C64).

If we login the RE450 through its web management interface (using a computer browser) and go to its network settings:

Since my main router (Archer C64) has its LAN IP address set to 192.168.0.1 I set the RE450 IP address in teh same subnet (192.168.0.0/24) to be 192.168.0.254.

This RE IP address is well out of DHCP server pool range of the router: 192.168.0.100 - 192.168.0.199 thus no IP address conflict with devices which receive their IP addresses dynamically from the router.

Looking at the RE450 settings down I change its DHCP server settings:

Setting RE450 DHCP server to OFF will guarantee that only one DHCP server is active on my local network and give IP addresses - the one on the Archer C64 router.

Thus, there won't be any duplicate IP address associations for client devices which receive their IP address dynamically.

When doing these changes, it's very important to click on Save button where it's present so these changes to be saved after restarting the device.

When everything is set up and ready to test, you should restart your router and then the range extender so the changes could take effect.

Note:

Another approach could be used here as well - both router and range extender DHCP servers set to ON.

You have to be careful if you choose this approach. My recommendation is - don't overlap the router and the RE DHCP server pools.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".

Comment

upload
    upload
      Subscriptions