Powerline Adapter—Network From Any Power Plug

Used Products:
× 1
General Product

“Network Blues

It wasn't that many years ago, you'd see a tangle of wires behind every device. Some were for electricity, for television, for Ethernet. Heck, even phones had wires.

Things changed, of course.

Wireless became a thing. And now it’s a bit easier finding space on a surge protector. Wireless networks, however, added some new twists.

Devices normally far away from routers needed strong and stable connections. Living rooms and office rooms weren’t the only spaces requiring Wi-Fi. Now, when you need to connect your TV to your Wi-Fi router, you have two options. You could move your modem and router away from your desktop to the TV. Or you could snake an Ethernet cable throughout your entire home...

Wouldn’t it be easier to just transfer your internet throughout your home wiring?

This is where powerline adapters come in.

Of course, it works in theory. The metal cables in powerlines are a good medium for data transmission. Using your powerline wasn’t common before due to technical limitations. But now, there are many PLC products that can improve your home network environment.

Power Line Communication—No Stretch of the Imagination

• What is PLC?

Power Line Communication (PLC) enables sending data, using existing power cables as a medium. This means that in any room with a power jack, you’ll enjoy a high speed internet connection. PLC can provide a more reliable internet connection over longer distances.

• How does PLC work?

A powerline Network requires two or more powerline adapters, and all of them plugged into the power sockets in the same electrical circuit/meter. One of the units should be near your router and can only connect to the router by Ethernet cable. The powerline adapter can transmit signals via the electric wiring of your home. This allows signals to travel farther and makes it so your walls are a medium of transmission rather than an obstacle for signals to overcome.

Powerline Adapter & Extender—What Can We Do With PLC Products?

A powerline adapter or extender uses your home's electrical wiring to create a wired and/or wireless network connection (depending on the adapter model). It creates powerful new Wi-Fi hotspots to give you a wireless signal in places your router can't normally reach.

It’s also not limited to devices that have an Ethernet port. Some extra features make PLC products an ideal choice.

• Wi-Fi Auto-Sync: Instantly configures additional extenders to your powerline network by uniformly syncing settings such as SSID, password, Wi-Fi Schedule, and LED Schedule across all network devices. This allows you to add quite a number of PLC adapters to the same network with very simple operations.

• Plug/Pair and Play: Allows you to set up your powerline network in minutes. Enjoy fast, seamless connections right away. Its super simple to get up and running and greatly improves your home network for streaming HD videos, gaming, and other data-intensive services.
  • Easy Management: Gives you easy control of your network through a powerful web interface, user-friendly tpPLC utility, and intuitive tpPLC mobile app.

There are three main PLC products. They all have similar functions but have some differentiating features. Look up the detailed information to see which one suits you best.

• Powerline adapter
  1. Starter Kit: wired only; adapters without a power plug;
  2. Passthrough Starter Kit: wired only; adapters with a power plug, freeing up valuable wall outlets.
  3. Extender: wired and wireless.

Specific Usage Scenarios—Can PLC Solve Your Problem?

• I need to wire connect my computer (TV, streaming device, etc.) to my router, but they are too far away from each other. Running an Ethernet cable from the router to PC isn’t an option.
  • My house is very big. It’s hard for my router’s network to cover the whole building. I need a lot of extenders in my rooms.
  • I already have a range extender to extend my Wi-Fi range, but the signal fades with physical barriers, and the speed is not very good.
  • I need to use my wireless and wired network in a dead zone in my home.