Wireless Nano Router TL-WR802N Power Issue?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-05-23 18:26:33
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I have a TL-WR802N nano router connected to a Intel NUC 715BNK mini computer. The network connection is plugged directly into the NUC, and the power is taken from one of the NUC USB ports. All power saving features on the NUC are turned off. I have the router running in Access Point mode and I connect to the NUC via an iPad running Microsoft remote desktop. I therefore control the NUC from the iPad. There is no keyboard, mouse or monitor connected to the NUC. This system was working well for a few months. However, when I now switch on the system, although the nano router boots up to a solid green light, the SSID is not visible on the iPad, and I cannot connect. If I connect a keyboard/mouse/monitor to the NUC I can access the nano router login screen and see all the settings. The status screen shows 0 bytes received. Channel set to auto, mode 11 b/g/n, channel width auto. Non of the settings have changed, and as far as I can tell no SSID is broadcast. I tried the reset button to no effect. Interestingly if I plug the nano router power into a USB charging plug I see the SSID. Is it possible that the NUC is now not supplying enough power through its USB ports? What could have changed? I have done nothing to the NUC, and all the power saving settings are off. Any help or suggestions appreciated. Graham
Options
3 Reply
Re:Wireless Nano Router TL-WR802N Power Issue?
2018-05-24 17:30:07
Some more information. Today I connected the nano router to the NUC with the network lead, and the router power to an independent 2.1A USB power socket. The PC and router booted and an SSID was broadcast. I was able to connect to the wireless network with my iPad and see the NUC PC screen through remote desktop. However, after a few minutes the wireless connection was lost and the SSID was no longer broadcast. The router green LED remained solid on. I was unable to reconnect to the PC. I note the router power requirement says 5V 1A. A standard USB 2.0 socket can deliver 0.5A, USB 3.0 can deliver 0.9A and USB charging ports 1.5A. My NUC has 3 x USB 3.0 (0.9A), 1 x USB 3.0 charging port (1.5A) and 1 x USB 3.1 (3A). I was originally using a USB 3.0 (0.9A), and I had no problems for a few months (even though it is below the 1A spec). I'm now using the USB 3.0 charging port (1.5A), but still have problems. And now the same issues with a USB 2.1A supply. The green LED light is on, but no one is home.
Options
2018-05-24 17:41:19
Have you power on the NUC mini computer by power adatper directly? Or you can try to power TL-WR802N through USB port with another computer to test it. If it' s working with another computer, you may need to check NUC mini computer.
Options
2018-05-25 22:03:16
I have now tried running the NUC and router from different power supplies. I have now observed that if I power up the router first, I usually (not always) get an SSID. When I then power up the NUC, after about a minute the SSID disappears. It then re-appears some time after I power down the NUC. A few weeks ago the NUC had a windows update to W10 Pro v1709, 16299.371. Is it possible that this update has affected the router, and if so in what way?
Options