Archer VR600 Connectivity Problem

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-09-22 17:14:57
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hello,

I'm trying to set up my Archer VR600 as a wireless router, connected by Ethernet to my broadband hub (which is a Sky Fibre box). For the time being I need to keep the Sky Hub as my modem but will eventually try switching it out to the Archer. So the basic set-up is the Sky Hub providing broadband with an Ethernet connection to the Archer which is serving Wifi clients. The Sky hub is also providing Wifi, but this is to support a Sky Q TV network so I can't disable that for the time being (eventually I will replace with a wired Ethernet network, but I'm not there yet).

I want the household's phones, tablets, PCs etc. to be served by the Archer's Wifi, not by the Sky Wifi.

The problem is that when Wifi clients first connect to the Archer they typically can't see the internet. They are assigned an IP Address by the Sky Hub but don't see the internet. In many cases these clients will eventually get internet access, but only after about 5-10 minutes of being connected. These are the diagnostics I've performed:

- Laptop connected into the back of the Archer via Ethernet can see the internet and ping the Sky Hub
- Laptop and PC connected to the Archer via Wifi can ping each other but can't see the Ethernet or ping the Sky Hub
- I've tried swapping out the Ethernet cable between the Archer and Sky Hub but it makes not difference. I've also tried on different Ethernet ports but it again makes no difference.

My configuration is:
- The Sky Hub (IP 192.168.0.1) is serving DHCP clients in the range 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.199
- The Archer is given a fixed IP Address of 192.168.0.200
- The Archer is in Wireless Router mode
- The Archer has DHCP disabled (although I've tried this with DCHP relay turned on, pointed to the Sky Hub but get the same behaviour)
- If I wait 5-10 minutes the Wifi client does start to see internet access, but if I disconnect from the Archer Wifi, connect to the Sky Wifi and then connect back to the Archer again the problem re-appears

This is driving me nuts to be honest as I can't see what the problem is. I first of all suspected a DNS problem but this wouldn't explain why the Archer's Wifi clients can't ping the Sky hub using its IP Address. So maybe its a routing problem, but I can't see why. The Ethernet clients plugged directly into the Archer get assigned IP Addresses in the same range by the Sky Hub and their packets get routed correctly, so why wouldn't Wifi clients? I'm wondering if I've got a faulty unit that I need to send back?

The Archer is on the latest firmware - build 170504.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Martin
Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 1793

Replies: 0

Related Articles