TP-Link Archer C1900 (Canadian Edition) cannot flash firmware, no QOS Settings

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-10-21 01:42:01
Hey all,

I have read through the forum posts in regards to this, and was unable to find a definitive answer to my questions. I have two issues with the TP-Link Archer C1900 (Canadian Edition) Wi-Fi Router:
One, I am unable to flash the Firmware, and receive an error code "5533" when I try.
[*]Two, although the TP-Link website itself provides me with this link (https://www.tp-link.com/us/faq-1532.html) to setup QOS on this router, there are no such settings in my software.
I am very interested, primarily, in flashing the router with new firmware, and would love to get past this error. If all else fails, I would also like to see how to configure QOS for this router, as the documentation that has been provided does not have the answers I require.

Any assistance on the above would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Rick
Options
6 Reply
Re:TP-Link Archer C1900 (Canadian Edition) cannot flash firmware, no QOS Settings
2018-10-26 00:08:03
Similar.. I purchased an Archer C1900 V1(US) and get 5533 error when trying to upgrade. It seems this box is locked. Firmware level is "3.17.0 Build 20151009 Rel.61423n"

I've tried the latest US firmware, one fellow on this forum said the Portugal firmware would work.. nope.. tried the Canadian firmwares. all error 5533. That's using the advanced Admin firmware upgrade utility. It will load the exact same firmware 3.17.0 Build 20151009, so the load function appears to work.. It's just locked for anything else.

Also tried TFTP cold reset-boot file upload.. with each of these files.. renamed to the specific name requested by the router via TFTP. They were uploaded but ignored: the router's OS didn't install them.

Is there a Canadian service center in the Toronto area that can do the unlock.?

So..? Any help would be appreciated.
Options
Re:TP-Link Archer C1900 (Canadian Edition) cannot flash firmware, no QOS Settings
2018-10-31 22:00:17
Hi!The C1900 is highly configurable and has most of the features of the stand-alone TP-Link small office/home office routers.

- There's no firmware update for the Canadian and US versions of the C1900. They are already set to the maximum allowed EIRP anyway so any tampering with the firmware would be illegal in the US. The firmware is locked to their respective countries. Last time I checked, there was no LEDE/DD-WRT firmware available. Google FCC firmware lock for more information. My workaround was to daisy-chain the C1900 with an inexpensive GL-iNet AR-300M which comes with LEDE.

- The Archer C9 is the "international" version that can be set to other countries' regulations. It also has fewer advanced features. You would need to add one of the smaller TP-Link routers to a C9 to get functionality similar to the C1900.

- QoS is under Advanced|Bandwidth Control.
Options
2018-10-31 23:16:27

Glutier wrote

- There's no firmware update for the Canadian and US versions of the C1900. They are already set to the maximum allowed EIRP anyway so any tampering with the firmware would be illegal in the US. The firmware is locked to their respective countries. Last time I checked, there was no LEDE/DD-WRT firmware available. Google FCC firmware lock for more information.

I am aware of this, however, your information is not entirely correct. While in the US, the FCC proposed locking down open-source firmware options that would allow higher than permitted radio frequency levels, P-Link forced the lockdown on all open source software, and then the FCC had to actually force them to open it up. Link for more info.

From the article:

"The FCC trumpeted the settlement as proof that its rules shouldn't prevent consumers from using open source software. "While manufacturers of Wi-Fi routers must ensure reasonable safeguards to protect radio parameters, users are otherwise free to customize their routers and we support TP-Link’s commitment to work with the open source community and Wi-Fi chipset manufacturers to enable third-party firmware on TP-Link routers," FCC Enforcement Bureau Chief Travis LeBlanc said in the announcement.

In answer to your other response, I now understand the QOS settings are parroted as "bandwidth control". They do, however, suck out loud. I am going to attempt a flash using the C9 firmware to see if I'm able to flash DD-WRT, and hopefully, open up the router using that software. If it works, or if I brick the darn thing, I will report back!
Options
2018-11-01 00:53:57
[QUOTE=RWElphinstone;252481]I am aware of this, however, your information is not entirely correct. While in the US, the FCC proposed locking down open-source firmware options that would allow higher than permitted radio frequency levels, P-Link forced the lockdown on all open source software, and then the FCC had to actually force them to open it up. Link for more info.From the article:"The FCC trumpeted the settlement as proof that its rules shouldn't prevent consumers from using open source software. "While manufacturers of Wi-Fi routers must ensure reasonable safeguards to protect radio parameters, users are otherwise free to customize their routers and we support TP-Link’s commitment to work with the open source community and Wi-Fi chipset manufacturers to enable third-party firmware on TP-Link routers," FCC Enforcement Bureau

LMAO I didn't know that!Do tell if you manage to get DD-WRT running. Using it on my AR-300 grew on me. I'd be happy to use DD-WRT on more powerful hardware.
Options
2018-11-01 01:45:56

Glutier wrote

LMAO I didn't know that! Do tell if you manage to get DD-WRT running. Using it on my AR-300 grew on me. I'd be happy to use DD-WRT on more powerful hardware.

Yeah, I hear you. It was an odd scene. I've been reading up on this for the past few weeks, personally. Looks like a lot of users got hosed when some manufacturers jumped the gun. Sad to see our own TP-Link seems to be one of the most trigger-happy of offenders. ;)

I'll definitely report back. I'm hoping it's good news all around!
Options
2018-11-02 00:31:55
My story: small apartment, would like to turn down the WiFi intensity since the router is sitting right beside me. DD-Wrt on my last router accommodated that function. For now I disabled WiFi and removed the antennas.. just using the Archer C1900 as an Ethernet hop to the cable company's modem. The cable company's modem has WiFi function blasting full blast heating my apartment.. ok.. exaggerating a little.

For output power adjusting, TP-Link should just expose the amplifier's control register's dBm setting rather than just high power and low power setting.

Looks like the TP-Link is using fwupd or a modified version of it for updates. Mine's US edition... I'm in Canada. I guess I should return it. Not satisfied, locked and wrong county firmware.. bad.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1481

Replies: 6

Related Articles