Archer VR2800 - DLNA File Limit?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-01-23 17:14:29

I have noticed posts from a few years ago (2013) relating to problems not seeing all files via DLNA on a USB attached drive.

I have recently purchased an Archer VR2800 (so not a cheap, basic one) router very much with DLNA use in mind. Unfortunately, I am unable to see a very large proportion of the files via DLNA.
So, the question is -

Do TP-Link deliberately limit the amount of files served via DLNA or have they still not fixed this long standing issue? 

Options
2 Reply
Re:Archer VR2800 - DLNA File Limit?
2019-01-25 08:23:54

Hi

This module will take many resources of CPU and RAM. If you do not set a limit to this function, your CPU and RAM will be taken up and it's hard to say that the router could work when scaning files. I think tplink has to make a choic between stablity and function.

Think about buying a Synology NAS to meet your requirements. 

Options
Re:Re:Archer VR2800 - DLNA File Limit?
2019-03-07 10:49:08

Hi WiFi Stealer,

Thank you for your useful comments.

TP-Link have been looking into this issue for me. Their R&D people seem to believe that they can increase the amount of files I'm seeing from 7,500 to around 30,000 without there being a big hit on performance. I'll have to see how the beta firmware goes if or when they make it available to me. I can always reverse out the change if, like you say, the router starts to fail in its primary function of being a wi-fi broadband router.

Regards

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1444

Replies: 2

Related Articles