Macbook keeps forgetting or rejecting my extender

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-02-12 17:57:39 - last edited 2019-03-13 09:49:47

I have just got a new Macbook Pro laptop. Every day when I switch it on, it refuses to connect automatically to my wifi network extender (model TL-WA850RE). I have to input the password about 10 times before it connects. The message is: '[network name] needs a WPA2 password'. It's as if it's forgetting the network every day, and I have to manually connect to it again the next day. The password is stored in keychain, and the network is at the top of my list of preferred networks within System Preferences. The strange thing is that it will connect eventually, so it's not rejecting the network completely. But I always have to enter the password about 10 times before it will connect!

I have tried factory resetting the extender, but that didn't solve the problem.

When I go near to the modem, it connects fine. It's only the extender in the other room that it's having problems with.

THis was never a problem with my old Macbook, it's only the new one that is having problems.

Please help as it's very frustrating!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Re:Re:Macbook keeps forgetting or rejecting my extender-Solution
2019-02-15 10:03:23 - last edited 2019-03-13 09:49:47

easy. firmware is posted on the official website: https://www.tp-link.com/en/download/TL-WA850RE.html#Firmware

The firmware must match its hardware, otherwise it may ruin this device. So keep it in mind.

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:Macbook keeps forgetting or rejecting my extender
2019-02-13 06:47:29

Why not try to delete the profile and reconnect to the extender with the password? Does it work?

what is the hardware and firmware version of the extender? You may able to update its firmware. and what is the OS version of the mac? 

Options
Re:Re:Macbook keeps forgetting or rejecting my extender
2019-02-13 19:04:51

Anton L.Z. wrote

what is the hardware and firmware version of the extender? You may able to update its firmware.

Hardware version: TL-WA850RE v5.0

Firmware version: 1.0.0 Build 20170609 Rel. 34153

To update the firmware it's asking me to link to a firmware file, where would I find one of those?

Mac OS is High Sierra. Tried deleting the profile and reconnecting, that didn't work.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Macbook keeps forgetting or rejecting my extender-Solution
2019-02-15 10:03:23 - last edited 2019-03-13 09:49:47

easy. firmware is posted on the official website: https://www.tp-link.com/en/download/TL-WA850RE.html#Firmware

The firmware must match its hardware, otherwise it may ruin this device. So keep it in mind.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Macbook keeps forgetting or rejecting my extender
2019-02-17 11:40:03
Thanks, that seems to have worked.
Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Macbook keeps forgetting or rejecting my extender
2019-02-19 08:24:57

Great to know. Congrats. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0