TX-6610 GPON - unicast DHCP packets altered

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-09-02 12:45:31 - last edited 2020-09-03 00:39:42
Model: TX-6610  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: TX-6610_V4_150922

Hi,

I am using TX-6610 product on GPON FTTH Orange in France.

The device is operating fine on regular traffic.

However I would like to report a confirmed and probably complex bug related to the firmware.

my TX-6610 config under PON is "Transparent Mode", built-in DHCP is disabled.
Expected behavior is to work as pure bridge between my router and ISP network.

- The connection to the ISP is established through DHCP on a specific VLAN(832).

- Bug with TX-6610 : Initial DHCP request DISCOVER/OFFER/REQUEST/ACK (broadcast) is successful, however DHCP RENEWs (unicast) are failing most of the time (getting NAK reply from ISP / TX-6610). With ISP ONT (Huawei Echolife) instead of TX-6610, DHCP renews are reaching ISP and 100% successful.

- Workaround : telnet to TX-6610 and remove "hw_nat" module (rmmod hw_nat),  caveat is throughput very limited (300/300 instead of 800/500)

I suspect the firmware's hw_nat module (L2BRIDGE offload) to somehow interfere with DHCP packets between my router and ISP.
The situation is quite difficult to debug further as there is no opportunity to sniff packets on GPON side to see what might be missing or altered.

I would be happy to provide further output / testing to technical team.

Best regards,

Options
3 Reply
Re:TX-6610 GPON - unicast DHCP packets altered
2020-09-10 02:32:34

@dmfr 

Good day.

Sorry for the delay.

Please feel free to email your finding to the local support team

E-mail:
Ouverture obligatoire d’un dossier/ticket d’assistance : http://www.tp-link.com/fr/contact
Local No:
Support téléphonique +33 1 82 88 35 35 (numéro non surtaxé) joignable uniquement avec votre numéro de dossier/ticket préalablement ouvert sur http://www.tp-link.com/fr/contact
Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. TL-WA3001 Supports EasyMesh, Speed Limit, Guest Network in AP Mode and/or Multi-SSID Mode. If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2020-09-10 09:20:15

@Sunshine 

Thank you for your reply, I already contact global support as it seems more relevant regarding firmware issues.

Options
2021-08-10 16:57:57

@dmfr 

Hello,

my question is not relted to your post, nonethless:

I see you are using your TX-6610 in Transparent Mode (VLAN Mode Setting). Mine was preconfigured in "Control by OLT". Do you know if I need to opreate it in "Transparent Mode" to succesfully open any ports in the backend router connected to the TX-6610?

If I open ports on my backend router, all Pings from the outside to a specific port fail. Did you succesfully forward ports with the TX-6610 in your setup?

Thanks!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 990

Replies: 3

Related Articles