I don't think TP-Link's Parental Controls scheduling works

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-01-18 01:46:41
Model: Archer C20  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 0.9.1 4.17 v0001.0 Build 200526 Rel.70733n(5553)

I am starting to think the Parental Controls that comes with TP-Link wireless routers doesn't actually work. I've had the AC750/Archer C20 router for almost 6 months and tried multiple times to get it to block a single device on its wifi network at specific times on specific days. I've tried both the router's web interface as well as the Tether app to schedule access to the device at specific times and in every case it doesn't work. All I can manage to do is block the device outright by simply turning Parental Controls on and adding the device to its list. This disables internet access regardless of what is scheduled, as a blacklist or a whitelist. The only way to restore internet access is to remove the device from the Parental Controls list.

Here's how I've tried setting up scheduled blocking but blocks internet access before, during and after the scheduled time. I needed to I remove my device from the list to regain access.

I tried searching through the Community Forums for similar Parental Control issues and tried the suggestions made but without success. I was disappointed to see others in similar predicaments with little or no help from TP-Link tech support. If anyone has any suggestions to try or can confirm I'm not the only one experiencing grief using the feature or getting help, I'd appreciate knowing so I can move on. Thanks.

Options
3 Reply
Re:I don't think TP-Link's Parental Controls scheduling works
2021-06-23 16:06:44
Even I am facing the same exact issue as posted above. I can only block a particular device completely but I cannot create schedules or choose the domains to be blocked. Because of this issue now I am forced to get a new and better router (definitely not TP-Link). Firmware Version:0.9.1 4.16 v0001.0 Build 181213 Rel.63587n Hardware Version: Archer C20 v4 00000004
Options
2021-06-23 16:18:07

@tech7 

Try using Access Control for that. If the device in question is C20 like as with the OP then here some details on how to configure.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2021-06-24 04:57:16

@terziyski 

You were right! Access Control accomplished what I needed. Seems like Parental Controls is to configure the allowed URLs at a given schedule where as Access Control is to configure URLs that needs to be denied at a given schedule.

Thank you very much!

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 799

Replies: 3

Related Articles