Lag spikes whilst gaming

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Lag spikes whilst gaming

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Lag spikes whilst gaming
Lag spikes whilst gaming
2021-02-03 19:32:37 - last edited 2021-02-10 02:56:26
Model: Archer C80  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.5.1 Build 201119 Rel.55394n(4555)

Good evening everyone

I'm hoping someone can help as its something that has been tormenting me now for the last few weeks. 

So, the main problem is that I play a lot of online games and I'm getting constant lag spikes every 45 seconds or so. I'm mainly playing Call of Duty Warzone and find that my ping sits at around 60 which I think is about double what it should be by comparing to friends and family that I play with. When the lag spike hits it lasts for around 30 seconds and will shoot up to between 500-999 which makes the game unplayable. The evenings seem to be worse (i imagine peak time may cause this?) when I find my ping will sit around 130 as well as the spikes.

I'm with Virgin Media with a download of around 350mb and upload of around 20mb (google speed test says 360mb down and 0.9mb up) with quite a heavy load from the family. I have a wife and three kids, all of which stream, download, game, and work on laptops. With using the virgin 3.0 hub I found the internet to be slow and intermittent both wifi and cabled so decided to upgrade to a third party router. My networking knowladge is poor, however I have a brother who is network savvy and has guided me as much as possible. I bought a Tenda AC10U at first but found it to be awful before purchasing the Archer C80 after a recomendation from a friend.

Since using the Archer C80 the wifi has been brilliant and services every device in the home. The problem is though that I'm still struggling to get a stable connection whilst gaming and its driving me up the wall! I've run the router with QOS switched on and my pc prioritised (I made sure to change the upload/download bandwidth to match my ISP) and have tried using the Nat Boost feature but neither have made much difference. They seem to work sometimes better than the other but will only seem to work for a few minutes before my lag returns.

Has anyone experianced something similar to this or may be able to offer a solution?

Many thanks,

Mctoot

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 557

Replies: 0

Related Articles