Access from service provider router to Deco M9 Plus

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-04-06 10:56:37
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.5.1 Build 20210126

Hi,

I have one Deco M9 Plus connected to service provider Router (Fiber Gateway GR241AG), and other two distributed to my house over cable. All my equipments are connected over Deco WiFi (Shelly devices, phone cells, etc...).
Two of my PCs are connected via cable to the service provider router. My HP printer are connected to Deco WiFi.

Over WiFi i can connect the printer, but from the PCs (connected to the router), i'm unable to connect the printer.

The router IP network are 192.168.1.X  and  the Deco create a network 192.168.68.X. So the equipments connected to Decos are on a different network then the router.
From the router i can't ping the Deco default gateway (192.168.68.1). But from the Deco WiFi network i can ping the router default gateway (192.168.1.254).

So the Deco is blocking the access to his network.

I check all the Deco configs, but can't find anything...

I'm unable to connect a switch to the Deco and connect the PCs to that switch, and PCs could be in Deco network.

The PCs has to be connected to the router ports.

What is blocking the access of my PCs connected to router to access the equipments connected to Deco ?

Can someone help ?

Thanks in advance

Options
7 Reply
Re:Access from service provider router to Deco M9 Plus
2021-04-06 13:55:39

@AMFD 

Configure Deco to run in Access Point mode, it'll bring all wired and wireless devices to the same single network, and will restore access between them.

This setting is in Deco app, under Advanced.

Options
2021-04-06 15:01:48

@Alexandre. 

Hi Alexandre (É Português ?),

Thank you very much for your quickly answer to my solicitation.

In fact, i've thought about that, but in this mode, Parental Control, QoS and NAT aren't supported. And i'm not sure about what will happen with my Shelly devices that are now connected to Deco WiFi.

I have 32 Shelly devices, to control light, blinds, and other equipments. I had a lot of work to transfer the Shelly WiFi connection from service provider router, to Deco WiFi. And Shelly all have IP in the range 192.168.68.X

But ok, i think this is the only way.

Thanks a lot,

António

Options
2021-04-06 15:16:48 - last edited 2021-04-06 15:18:12

@AMFD 

The only practical solution is to have everything on the same network.

You have two options: run everything on ISP router network or run everything on Deco network.

To run everything on ISP router network, configure Deco in Access Point mode, but you will lose QoS and parental controls.

To run everything on Deco network, if you really need QoS and parental controls, you will have to overcome "I'm unable to connect a switch to the Deco and connect the PCs to that switch." 

You'll need to find a way to connect PCs to Main Deco or to Satellite Decos. Note that PCs don't really have to be connected to Main Deco, perhaps they are close to Satellite Deco(s) and you can connect PC to Satellite Deco Ethernet port.

Any other option, which is trying to run equipment on two different networks and making them communicate with each other, will be a lot of headaches all the time.

Options
2021-04-06 16:06:06

@Alexandre. 

Hi Alexandre,

Yes, you right. Definitely i has to opt  for one of those solutions.

But working in AP mode, the Decos will propagate the WiFi generated by the router itself right ? Deco just will use the antenas to propagate the router signal, right ?

I have 3 Decos, one conected by cable to the router, and the other two are on different floors, connected by cable. The second is connected to the "Master" Deco by cable, and the third is connected to the second by cable too. I've done that because the basement floor received few signal by Decos WiFi. And the upper floor the same was happening. The Walls and concrete are very strong and filter the signals.

But i have another sokution in mind ! I think that the only way is use the second port of the master Deco, to connect to the Switch where the PCs are connected, and on this switch i'll connect the second Deco. It is possible to connect  the second Deco port to connct to a Switch and on this switch i can connect the second Deco, right ?

I think that this will be the best solution, if it will be possible !

Thanks,

António

Options
2021-04-06 16:19:17 - last edited 2021-04-06 16:19:36

@AMFD 

>But working in AP mode, the Decos will propagate the WiFi generated by the router itself right ?

No, Decos will run their own WiFi network. In my house, I run Deco in AP mode and I turned off WiFi on the ISP router as I don't need it.

>But i have another sokution in mind ! I think that the only way is use the second port of the master Deco, to connect to the Switch where the PCs are connected, and on this switch i'll connect the second Deco. 

Yes, this should work. If you have switch already, you could try it right away. If not, look for basic gigabit unmanaged 5-port switch, not from D-Link brand.

Options
2021-04-06 16:31:45

@Alexandre. 

Thank you very much for your help Alexandre.

I'll try to connect Deco to switch and let's see what happen !

Ok, i thought that in AP mode, the Deco would not use their own WiFi network, but propagated the router WiFi signal.

I've had disabled my router WiFi too.

Actualy i need the parental control, to control my son, and i know exactly when he is connected, and where he is connected, and can control the time he is connected to internet. Deco is better on this then some software applications.

Many thanks, then i'll let you know if with the switch it works.

António

Options
2021-04-06 19:17:15

@AMFD 

Hi, it's working. I read something about some switchs that does not work with ethernet backhaul, but my switch is a TP-Link switch, and everything is working fine.

Thanks for your time Alexandre.

António

Options