TD-W8970 Wireless connection problems|

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

TD-W8970 Wireless connection problems|

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
37 Reply
Re:TD-W8970 Wireless connection problems|
2013-08-04 19:14:10

Snowy wrote

So after the modem has been working for some time, your wireless devices can not access Internet wirelessly and you need to restart the modem? Can the wireless devices still detect and connect to the wireless network?

What are the model numbers of the devices?
What is the security type of the wireless network?
If your computers are still wired to the modem, does it have Internet access?

Yes, my devices can't access the internet wirelessly and i have to restart the modern.

Yes, the wireless devices can detect the wifi network of TP-Link TD-W8970.

I have Galaxy Nexus mobile phone
Macbook Mid 2009
Acer ASPRIE 5738ZG
Yes, if my computer is wired i still have internet connection and i can access the router's page and it shows the router is still connected without any problems even though i can't access it via wifi.... clearly it's the router's issue...
Options
2013-08-04 19:25:13
There is something strange that i have observed.... if i revert my router to the previous update ("130201) were the fix was mainly released in this update the wifi problem will not occur. However, if i update to the latest update (130415) the wifi problem occurs back again...now why is this happening...

Now either i can revert back to the previous update and get rid of disconnection problem without having of the latest update fixed or i can have the latest update fixes with the disconnection issue.

Now that is not very satisfying solution i can't update and downgrade each time i need something!
Options
2013-08-06 19:31:29
It seems is issue is fixed now...

To fix the problem i reset my router then upgraded to the previous update (130201) after that i reset my router again and upgraded to the latest update (130415). Now didn't have any disconnection since two days!

Usually i am not able to connect to my router every 14 hours.

It seems when bought the router jumped directly from older update to (130415) without going through (130201) update, which mainly includes the fix.
Options
2013-08-07 06:20:04
sadly the issue occurred again... and i am really frustrated... there must be a way to fix it...
Options
2013-08-09 01:28:50
I am having many disconnection and it's annoying... please i need help otherwise i am going to sell it...
Options
2013-08-12 08:22:49
TP-Link Support Team any ideas?
Options
2013-08-16 01:32:26
Hello, I'm having the same problems as yours... any fix avaliable for this? I'm testing this router 1 day ago and I must to restart it about 7 times... problems are the wifi drop out.. can't access to the router web console... etc...

Thank you.
Options
2013-09-11 07:13:47
This issue is confirmed and by me too. I have the same symptoms. I'm using the latest beta firmware of TD-W8970, which the problem with ipv6 has been solved 100%.
This strange behavior with wireless, it was there, with ALL firmwares. For the very first one, until this new latest beta firmware.

Lets start with the story:

With happy in your mind for the new CPE, you pluging this CPE in electricity network, you are putting the telephone cable into the proper port, and you are powering on.
Next, after the dsl sync with the dslam, you opening your favorite browser and accesing the modem/router web gui.
You are choosing your favorite SSID, your country, the mode " 11 bgn mixed", channel 1, channel width auto, and you pressing save.
All good you are saying. You are going in the " Wireless Security" you are choosing WPA2-PSK, you entering your password, and Group Key Update Period as for example 3600 from the default 0 which is bad for the security..
Good, you finished ( you thinking... :rolleyes: )

After some hours of normal use, for example 8, 10 or 12, with 1 wireless client or 2 or 3 clients connected , your wireless connection disconnecting, or freezing and the well known yellow exclamation icon, apearing down and right in your screen (In the icon of your wifi card). Nahhh you saying, my wifi card had problem, lets disconnect and reconnect again... Nah.... bad luck, the td-w8970 refuse the wireless connection again. You are thinking, my wifi card is faulty, lets try another one. You are putting another wifi card, you are trying to connect, nothing, the same... I have bad luck you are saying...Lets try another wifi card, with different chipset (ralink, realtek, atheros, etc). Nahhhh nothing, the same.You are seeing your SSID, but you cannot reconnect, not only you, all wireless clients in your network.
What you will do now? Oh you got it, you will power off the CPE. You are powering off the device. After 1 minute, you are powering on again. The dsl sync is done, its all ok. You are trying again, and magically, you can connect with wireless without problem.

Ohhh you have fixed ( you thinking... :rolleyes: ). You continue your work, your surfing, or anything you are doing, it seems no other problem you are facing... But... WAIT... No... the god punished you for your blasphemies before when you are trying to connect with wireless. After 8, 10, 12 hours, the same issue occurs... Da****n you are saying what is going on? You are trying to search in all wireless settings which is available, like Beacon Interval, RTS And Fragmentation Threshold, DTIM, you are trying other channel etc, anything which is available related to wireless. You have tried any possible combination, and adjustments, you have read a ton of infos, how-to, tutorials, and you spend hours in internet for trying to find solution but no WAY, the doom cycle of every 8/10/12 hours, wireless freezing/ or is totally unresponsive is there and you cannot bypass it...

That is the story :) I trying to describe the problem with a different way, but that is the problem. The wireless chip is faulty... I have change a tone of pci/ pciexpress, usb wireless cards, i have do anything it was possible, but this issue cannot solved. Its HARDWARE Problem i believe and not software (firmware). Ofcourse i cannot be sure about that, maybe its and firmware problem, but as it seems, it is a hardware problem... I cannot connect with ethernet permanent, (the cpe is in different room, in the center of the house, in the central telephone jack). I tried anyway with ethernet with a netbook, when the problem was start happening, and the device it was not totally dead, only the wifi was dead...

I dont know if we will have a fix from TP Link with a firmware or something else, some other way... I will wait few days, and if i cannot solve it, and i dont see any new firmware for fixing that or some help from TP Link, i will returning the CPE for RMA, because its not my problem... I have tried with huge amount of different wifi cards, with many different settings in the CPE or in the wifi cards, and im sure, its not my problem or bad use, or fault... Too bad, because 2 pages now in this thread, many users has been reported the SAME issue, but the problem is there, and not fixed...
Options
2013-09-11 13:36:50

DaveMurray wrote

This issue is confirmed and by me too. I have the same symptoms. I'm using the latest beta firmware of TD-W8970, which the problem with ipv6 has been solved 100%.
This strange behavior with wireless, it was there, with ALL firmwares. For the very first one, until this new latest beta firmware.

Lets start with the story:

With happy in your mind for the new CPE, you pluging this CPE in electricity network, you are putting the telephone cable into the proper port, and you are powering on.
Next, after the dsl sync with the dslam, you opening your favorite browser and accesing the modem/router web gui.
You are choosing your favorite SSID, your country, the mode " 11 bgn mixed", channel 1, channel width auto, and you pressing save.
All good you are saying. You are going in the " Wireless Security" you are choosing WPA2-PSK, you entering your password, and Group Key Update Period as for example 3600 from the default 0 which is bad for the security..
Good, you finished ( you thinking... :rolleyes: )

After some hours of normal use, for example 8, 10 or 12, with 1 wireless client or 2 or 3 clients connected , your wireless connection disconnecting, or freezing and the well known yellow exclamation icon, apearing down and right in your screen (In the icon of your wifi card). Nahhh you saying, my wifi card had problem, lets disconnect and reconnect again... Nah.... bad luck, the td-w8970 refuse the wireless connection again. You are thinking, my wifi card is faulty, lets try another one. You are putting another wifi card, you are trying to connect, nothing, the same... I have bad luck you are saying...Lets try another wifi card, with different chipset (ralink, realtek, atheros, etc). Nahhhh nothing, the same.You are seeing your SSID, but you cannot reconnect, not only you, all wireless clients in your network.
What you will do now? Oh you got it, you will power off the CPE. You are powering off the device. After 1 minute, you are powering on again. The dsl sync is done, its all ok. You are trying again, and magically, you can connect with wireless without problem.

Ohhh you have fixed ( you thinking... :rolleyes: ). You continue your work, your surfing, or anything you are doing, it seems no other problem you are facing... But... WAIT... No... the god punished you for your blasphemies before when you are trying to connect with wireless. After 8, 10, 12 hours, the same issue occurs... Da****n you are saying what is going on? You are trying to search in all wireless settings which is available, like Beacon Interval, RTS And Fragmentation Threshold, DTIM, you are trying other channel etc, anything which is available related to wireless. You have tried any possible combination, and adjustments, you have read a ton of infos, how-to, tutorials, and you spend hours in internet for trying to find solution but no WAY, the doom cycle of every 8/10/12 hours, wireless freezing/ or is totally unresponsive is there and you cannot bypass it...

That is the story :) I trying to describe the problem with a different way, but that is the problem. The wireless chip is faulty... I have change a tone of pci/ pciexpress, usb wireless cards, i have do anything it was possible, but this issue cannot solved. Its HARDWARE Problem i believe and not software (firmware). Ofcourse i cannot be sure about that, maybe its and firmware problem, but as it seems, it is a hardware problem... I cannot connect with ethernet permanent, (the cpe is in different room, in the center of the house, in the central telephone jack). I tried anyway with ethernet with a netbook, when the problem was start happening, and the device it was not totally dead, only the wifi was dead...

I dont know if we will have a fix from TP Link with a firmware or something else, some other way... I will wait few days, and if i cannot solve it, and i dont see any new firmware for fixing that or some help from TP Link, i will returning the CPE for RMA, because its not my problem... I have tried with huge amount of different wifi cards, with many different settings in the CPE or in the wifi cards, and im sure, its not my problem or bad use, or fault... Too bad, because 2 pages now in this thread, many users has been reported the SAME issue, but the problem is there, and not fixed...

I have the same issues and then some And it is NOT device specific I have changed 3 (yes THREE) W8970s All produce similar issues with wifi
From freezing totally to dropping and reopening the connection and log's messages differ from "LCP down to "V2 igmp router occured! Not matching ours V3"

TP Link team what's going on??
Options
2013-09-12 19:33:03
I can but be amazed by the immediate swift and resultful answer of TP-LINK:(
Options
Related Articles