Onemesh/TP-link range extender security issues?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-07-26 14:39:47
Model: Archer AX6000  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.3 Build 20210511 rel. 76452

Is there an inherent security weakness in attaching range extenders to the router (re315 in this case)? I kept seeing an unknown device connect to the RE which I experimentally blocked in the router, but it always showed it still connected in the RE and no option to block. Using smart wifi with merged 2.4/5 and tried resetting, etc. Or do REs share the security settings of the main device? I actually saw a few devices connect to it including something with a Tizen OS, and I made sure all Samsung devices except known phones were off and still saw a Tizen which though blocked in router, were shown as connected in RE. This makes me wary of using these at all.

Options
1 Reply
Re:Onemesh/TP-link range extender security issues?
2021-07-26 16:40:28 - last edited 2021-07-27 11:42:05

@Crazyfoxali 

This is from your RE315 user guide:

Also note that:

The device with Tizen OS is a Samsung smart TV. If you have it blocked by the access control on your router, then RE315 should share these settings as well.

" Access Control is used to allow or block specific computers and other devices from accessing your network. When a device is blocked, it is able to get an IP address from the router, but unable to communicate with other devices or connect to the Internet. " - maybe that's the reason to see the device still connected in RE or router.

You can easily check if that works by simply trying to access some Internet service from your Samsung smart TV while blocked by router's access control.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 671

Replies: 1

Related Articles