Extending A Deco M5 Network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-09-01 15:12:37
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.5.3 Build 20210203 Rel. 68223

Hi Guys,

Apologies in advance if there already is a similar Q&A to what I'm about to ask, I cannot find it in the forum.

I live in a two-storey house and I have a 3-Pack Deco M5 network. The main router is in the living room hardwired to the modem on the ground floor. Satellite unit 1 is also on the ground floor in the study. Satellited Unit 2 is in my bedroom on the upper floor. Due to the walls and obstacles such as a cupboard, the Wifi signal can be quite weak in other bedrooms. I am thinking of boosting the signal in my brother's bedroom with the TP-Link RE300 AC1200 OneMesh Range Extender.

My question is will this RE300 be able to boost the wifi signal in my brother's bedroom or do I have to add another Deco M5 satellite unit to the network to achieve that?

Any advice /  guidance is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Andrew

Sincerely, Andrew
Options
4 Reply
Re:Extending A Deco M5 Network
2021-09-01 15:46:47 - last edited 2021-09-01 16:06:01

@YanAndrew 

This is not the right device, it is not compatible with Deco M5 mesh you have. If you want that type of add-on, you should be getting Deco M3W: https://www.tp-link.com/us/deco-mesh-wifi/product-family/deco-m3w/

I strongly recommend not to buy M3W, but spend few more dollars for additional Deco M5. 

In regard to this: "Satellite unit 1 is also on the ground floor in the study. Satellite Unit 2 is in my bedroom on the upper floor." Are these Satellite units wired, or do they connect wirelessly to Main Deco?

Because, if they are connected wirelessly, it might not be the best placement for them. Let me know and I'll explain.

Options
2021-09-02 04:04:07

@Alexandre. 
Hello Alexandre, both Satellite units are connected to the Main Router unit wirelessly. Unfortunately, I cannot hardwire them due to the distance and the walls. There is also a wardrobe in the bedroom which, I suspect, contributes to the weak WiFi signal. I constantly have to use the Optimize network function in the Deco app.

Sincerely, Andrew
Options
2021-09-02 15:44:50 - last edited 2021-09-02 15:45:45

@YanAndrew 

When you have Satellite Decos connected wirelessly to Main Deco, their optimal location is not in rooms where you want best WiFi signal.

Taking Study room as an example. I am assuming you want very good WiFi signal there, so you placed Satellite Deco in that room, and you also have Main Deco on same floor. Like that:

[Study, Satellite Deco]<----------------------- X ------------------------->[Main Deco]

Where X is distance between Satellite Deco and Main Deco.

The optimal location for that Satellite Deco is in the middle between Study and Main Deco. Like that:

[Study]<----------X/2------------>[Satellite Deco]<-----------X/2-------------->[Main Deco]

Because Satellite Deco is connected wirelessly to Main Deco, all you need is electric outlet somewhere in the middle to try it.

-------------------------------

Same for the upper floor, where your bedrooms are. Do not place your Satellite Deco in bedroom, place it in the middle between Main Deco and bedrooms(s). 

For example, my upper floor is all bedrooms connected with single corridor in the middle of the floor, from where stairs go to the ground floor. My second floor Satellite Deco sits in the corridor between bedrooms, and it provides coverage to all bedrooms. My ground floor Main Deco sits right under upper floor Satellite Deco, so that they are connected by strong wireless backhaul.

If you have larger house, you may need to figure different placement, but same principle applies: do not put Satellite Deco where you want to have best WiFi, put it between Main Deco and that place.

Finally, if you decide moving Satellite Decos to different places, check their Signal Source for backhaul signal quality. Example:

This Satellite Deco has good backhaul connection to Main Deco named Living Room. Not perfect, but good enough. It is placed correctly. Anything worse than that in signal level, or yellow/red signal leves, or just 2.4GHz but not 5GHz - means Satellite Deco is too far from Main Deco. 

Options
2021-09-03 13:08:48

@Alexandre. thank you very much for your input.

I have moved the satellite unit upstairs but I the signal is still weak (two bars) due to all the concrete walls. I cannot move the one in the Study downstairs because I need it where it is so I can hardwire my laptops to it. I think I will need to add more satellite units but your input has been real helpful.

Thank you very much.

Sincerely, Andrew
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 932

Replies: 4

Related Articles