Installed Deco Tp-link X60 AX3000 (3 pack) successfully, but have some questions

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Installed Deco Tp-link X60 AX3000 (3 pack) successfully, but have some questions

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-10-30 09:32:15
Model: Deco X60  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.5.0

Hello,

I have installed 3 Deco's in my house, with the main goal to improve Wi-Fi connectivity on the first and second floor of my house.

I think this went well, as I now have full coverage of my house in one network, thanks to the Deco's.

However, a few issues/questions arose from using the setup the past days and I'm wondering if someone could shed a light on these.

- I'm thinking something is wrong with my setup. I thought the Deco's would chain together and form the new network. So I've installed the first one in the corridor on ground floor, connected to the modem/router of my ISP with cable. I've disabled the Wi-Fi of that mode/router device to not create any interference with the new Deco network. Then in my home office on the first floor, I installed the second Deco, connected to a switch and Ethernet cable, cause I thought this would improve it's connectivity (so this one is also connected to the modem/router). Finally I've installed the third Deco on the third floor, without cable (so pure Wi-Fi). The Deco's all light up green.

When I check the app however, I see both Deco's connect to the main Deco in the corridor on the ground floor. I was thinking that it would be chained to 1 > 2 > 3 and not 1 > 2, 3. Is this correct or is my setup wrong? 

- In my home office on the second floor, the second Deco is basically almost next to my desktop. I try to connect to the new Deco Wi-Fi network from my desktop, but it says that the connection strength is so low, it can't connect. Weird thing is, my smartphone is also on my desk, having 5 bars connected to the same new Deco network without issues. How is this possible? The desktop also has an Ethernet connection directly (with a switch in between) to the modem/router from my ISP. Something locally maybe with the Wi-Fi adapter? Or the configuration of my network? 

- I read that the advice was to put my modem/router from my ISP in bridge mode for the installation of the Deco's. Unfortunately in my current setup, I can't do that because otherwise I lose the Ethernet connection to my desktop for example (as I've said these are plugged in to the socket in the wall and go directly to the router). How can I solve this or does this matter? I don't have enough Ethernet connections on the main Deco to have this acting as a router for this, or do I need another switch in between to make that work? Is this intended for the main Deco to work as a router for Wi-Fi and cable?

Thanks for your time and input.

Kind regards,

Roberto

Options
3 Reply
Re:Installed Deco Tp-link X60 AX3000 (3 pack) successfully, but have some questions
2021-10-30 11:41:45 - last edited 2021-10-30 11:56:05

@Roberto007 

You seem to have multiple issues and questions about your Deco mesh. I can work with you through them, but I'd prefer to have it done step by step, not all at once. I'll ask you questions in regard to your home network and setup, and after I have answers can provide recommendation and then we can move to the next step.

First, we will start with basic Deco mesh configuration. Then, we can take a look at your X60 on the second floor, is it broadcasting WiFi signal properly. We can also check your X60 on the third floor. It will prefer to connect to Main Deco instead of Deco 2, and in the future TP-Link will address that, but we can check if what you have now severely impacts devices connected to third floor Deco and what can be done about it.

Deco mesh configuration

1. Do you run Deco mesh in default Router mode, or have you changed it to Access Point mode, in Deco app? If you run it in Router mode, would you consider switching it to Access Point mode? That will simplify a lot Deco mesh management and troubleshooting. See this document for features not available in Access Pont mode and decide if you need them: What’s the difference between Access Point mode and Router mode on the Deco?

2. On Satellite Deco 2 and on Satellite Deco 3, can you share what do you see under Signal Source? It would help if you can make screenshots on smartphone and include in reply. For each of these Deco, I am interested to see if Deco 2 reports this:

and what do you see for Deco 3, which should be similar to that:

This will tell me what is the signal strength between Deco 3 and Main Deco. You can cut all other parts of screenshots in MS Paint, for example, I only need this part for Deco 2 and Deco 3.

Options
Re:Installed Deco Tp-link X60 AX3000 (3 pack) successfully, but have some questions
2021-10-30 14:13:36

@Alexandre. 

Hi Alexandre,

thanks so much for your reply.

1. From the Deco app, I've altered the mode from router mode to AP mode. So far without issues, everything seems to work as well as before for now.

2. For deco 2 & 3 I can see the following from the app:

Signal source:

- Corridor (name of the main Deco): (1 bar) 2.4 GHz/ 5 GHz

So I don't see any mentioning of Ethernet connection for Deco 2.

Options
2021-10-30 14:41:11

@Roberto007 

Excellent. Please keep Deco mesh in Access Point mode. 

One of the benefits of Access Point mode: you do not have to put your modem/router from your ISP in bridge mode. Your ISP router is managing home network now, and Deco mesh only provides WiFi signal. You turned off WiFi on ISP Router, and that's all you have to do. 

You can also use all Ethernet ports of your ISP router, and whatever wherever you connected, by WiFi or Ethernet, will belong to the same network. Helps a lot if you have shared devices such as network printer.

We will need to figure why Deco 2 is not connected by the Ethernet. What you described is correct for Deco in Router mode. The way you connected Deco 2, even if it is with Ethernet cable, it should not have been able to use it. 

When you changed Deco mesh to Access Point mode, Deco 2 should have been able to use Ethernet connection.

Maybe Deco mesh restart will help. Please do it in the following order:

Power off Satellite Deco 2 and Deco 3.

Power off Main Deco 1.

Power on Main Deco 1 and wait till it is fully online.

Check in Deco app that you see Deco 1 as on, Deco 2 and Deco 3 offline. Refreshing info may take some time, so please wait till you have that in Deco app.

Power on Deco 2. Wait till it is fully online and check again its Signal Source.

Power on Deco 3.

If even after that Deco 2 still won't or can't use Ethernet, there might be an issue with incompatible with Deco network switch you have. See this document for more information: General questions about Ethernet Backhaul feature on your Deco

Especially Q4 and Q5.

Let me know if you have found anything there relevant to your home network equipment or setup. If not, consider bypassing networking switch. The simplest way to do that would be to bring Deco 2 where your ISP router is, connect Deco 2 with short Ethernet cable directly to one of ISP Router ports. You should have Ethernet under Signal Source now, and if you do - the problem is with the switch.

------------------

I would also like you to double check, after Deco restarts, that Deco mesh is indeed in Access Point mode. When you have all three Deco powered back on and online, check in Deco app that Deco is in Access Point mode.

Also, check IP address on your smartphone connected to Deco WiFi. If it is in the 192.168.68.* range, most likely your Deco mesh still runs in Router mode.

Options