Main Deco Unit Connect

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Main Deco Unit Connect

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Main Deco Unit Connect
Main Deco Unit Connect
2021-11-20 02:20:20
Model: Deco X20  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi all, new to this stuff. Just setup my Deco main unit as per instructions. Plugged LAN cable in etc. all working. But I can't see or find any instructions on it I can unplug the LAN cable and move the main unit away from my WiFi router? I'm sure there will be a simple answer but when I do unplug the cable and move it, it doesn't work. Thanks in advance. 

Options
3 Reply
Re:Main Deco Unit Connect
2021-11-20 02:24:54

@Camand 

Main Deco must always be connected by Ethernet cable to ISP modem/router.

Options
2021-11-20 02:31:05
Thanks for that. Seems a bit pointless having one sitting right beside the router. They give you 2 for a 3-4 bedroom home and have one as a main unit. But hay I guess it is what it is.
Options
2021-11-20 02:40:26

@Camand 

It depends: in my house, for example, quite long Ethernet cable connects my Main Deco to ISP router. ISP router is in the corner of the basement and I can't move it from there, Main Deco is on the first floor in the middle of the house for optimal WiFi coverage and connectivity with Satellite Decos.

It is recommended to turn off ISP Router WiFi after you configured Deco mesh, to reduce unnecessary WiFi interference between them. Also, if you plan to use Deco just for WiFi coverage, and otherwise happy with your current router, you can switch Deco to Access Point mode, through Deco app. Router will keep managing network (IP allocations, whitelist, etc.) while Deco will just cover your house with WiFi. In Access Point mode you'll get maximum Deco performance with minimum configuration headaches.

This is where that setting is in Deco app:

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 661

Replies: 3

Related Articles