Starlink plus S4 Mesh - Frequent Drop Outs on Zoom and MS Teams

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-03-08 18:45:52
Model: Deco S4  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.5.1 Build 20220113 Rel. 42007

HI There

I have Starlink coming into first room in my house with a wired connction to main deco. Speed is often above 200 Mbps and it is setup as access point. I then have deco s4 satellites around the house. Speed drops off quite considerablt in te satllites even the one with line of site to main deco.

In my office, using a Macbook Pro, the speed is between 50 - 60 Mbps but whenever I am having meetings on Zoom or Teams I have about 5- 6 dropouts an hour which is just embarrasing with clients. I get the "Internet Connection Unstable" message on Zoom. It does not seem to matter if wifi or cable connection form deco satellite

Does anyone know if this could be a Starlink issue (I've heard Ping and Jitter can be erratic) and also can you advise how to troubleshoot the decos?

Also, can you configure the satellites to connect with the satellite of your choice or is this meant to be optimised automatically?

Thanks

Options
2 Reply
Re:Starlink plus S4 Mesh - Frequent Drop Outs on Zoom and MS Teams
2022-03-09 11:30:39

@elaeroplano Note - in this question I am talking about Deco satellites around the house NOT Starlink satellites:)  

Options
Re:Starlink plus S4 Mesh - Frequent Drop Outs on Zoom and MS Teams
2022-03-09 16:43:36

@elaeroplano 

1. Connect Macbook Pro directly by Ethernet cable to Starlink router, bypassing Deco, and see if problem still exists. If it does, it is Starlink issue. Google "satellite based internet" and you may find the following:

While satellite internet does offer many advantages, it has a whole lot of downsides. If you’re into online gaming, using VOIP (that is, internet phone), or you work with video, you may find it simply isn’t up to the task. 

2. If direct Ethernet connection to Starlink router removes the problem, connect Main Deco back to Starlink router and connect Macbook Pro directly by Ethernet cable to second Ethernet port of Main Deco. 

If problem came back, something is wrong with Main Deco.

3. If Ethernet connection through Main Deco does not exhibit the problem, the issue must be with Satellite Deco. Check its Signal Source in Deco app to see if it is too far from Main Deco.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 964

Replies: 2

Related Articles