Deco M5 - Poor speeds on second and third decos

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-05-10 08:54:54
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.5.7 Build 20210819 Rel 43499

Hi, 

I have just upgraded to Talk Talk full Fibre and should get up to 500mb speeds. 

When I do a speed test on the deco app I get 302.4 download and 52.6 upload, 

The main Deco is ethernetted into port 1 on the new router supplied by Talk Talk - Sagemcom 

I have another Deco on the second floor and one on the third floor - these two decos are not getting anywhere near the speeds of the main Deco. I am getting around 90 - 100 mb from these additional Decos. 

I know its probably been asked before but any help to increase the speeds on the second and third decos would be appreciated, 

I have the second Deco connected to the PC by ethernet cable and just got 94 mb download - so very slow. 

Thanks in advance for any support to get this up and running propertly as I know if I speak to Talk Talk they will just say they guaranteed 150mb and the router is getting around 300. 

Neil

Options
4 Reply
Re:Deco M5 - Poor speeds on second and third decos
2022-05-10 09:58:18

@L21KNS 

Just to add I have now updated the QoS to 500mbs download and 200 upload as I thought this could be restricting the bandwith. I have also made the PC a high priority and it is still now looking great for speed. 

Options
2022-05-10 14:46:41

@L21KNS 

First, expectations. Your Satellite Deco M5, when properly placed, can deliver up to 200-250Mbps. Note "up to." Does not matter what you'll try. If you are OK with that speed, we can continue with troubleshooting. 

If you expected more, you should replace your three-pack Deco M5 with more capable (and more expensive) three-pack Deco M9 Plus. If you decided to try different WiFi mesh brand, look for one with tri-band nodes. M5 is two-band, M9 Plus is tri-band.

Let me know.

Also, while you are deciding, check if your PC has gigabit Ethernet. Because, if it is just 100Mbps, like in many laptops, 94Mbps is what you should expect to get when wiring it to Satellite Deco. 

If you can, wire your PC to the second Ethernet port of Main Deco and see what speeds PC will get there.

Options
2022-05-10 15:28:28
Thanks Alexandre, I have just cabled the PC up to the second port on the main Deco and the speeds have increased to 242mbps download and 61.99 upload. I can take a look at the other systems but ideally would like to get this one optimised.
Options
2022-05-10 15:56:32

@L21KNS 

I am going to tell you make few changes to your Deco mesh, for troubleshooting, after you've done with it you can roll these changes back.

First of all, change Deco Operating Mode to Access Point. You said your Main Deco is connected to the router, then it'll work. In Access Point mode, ISP router manages the home network, Deco provides WiFi signal, everything that might impact Internet speed such as bandwidth throttling will be disabled in Deco running in Access Point mode.

See Switching a Deco to Access Point (AP) Mode

After done that, turn off one of Satellite Deco M5, the one to which PC is not connected. You will have just two Deco M5 left: Main and Satellite M5 to which you will Ethernet wire PC.

Now, run speed test on PC Ethernet wired to Satellite M5 in above configuration. If you still not getting speeds over 100Mbps, check quality of signal between that Satellite and Main Deco. You could find it in Deco app, under Satellite Deco. 

Example:

If you see less than 2 bars, yellow or red bars, 2.4GHz only and not 2.4GHz/5GHz - that means, Satellite Deco M5 is too far from Main Deco. Move it closer to Main Deco, check Signal source and run speed test on PC again.

If nothing helps much, the final test. Bring Satellite M5 to the room where Main Deco is, place Satellite M5 5-6 feet (about 2 meters) away from Main Deco, in unobstructed line of sight, check Signal Source (should be excellent - 3 bars) and run speed test on a PC wired to Satellite M5 in that configuration. Let me know what speeds you are getting on PC with that setup. 

--------------

Finally, for a more reliable speed testing, please install and use OOkla speed test app on your PC, not www.speedtest.net web site in a browser.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 843

Replies: 4

Related Articles